Sight Glass Question...What Am I Missing?

I would think wrapping the end of the wick with thread or fishing line, then fishing the thread through and pulling on that might work to get the wick in the tube.

I'm told that the saddle in these has a **** ton of wicks in them and they are a PITA to replace. I was reading a blog of a K&T owner that used pipe cleaners as wicks in his because of how much of a pain it was to fish them in the passages.
You don't have to do that!. One can get white felt in rolls, in various thicknesses, and cut all sorts of wicks from that. I also have a length of round felt used in upholstery that works just fine in wicking up oil.

Pipe cleaners? I don't know, but I have some around to try the trick out, as in testing.

I'm told that the saddle in these has a **** ton of wicks in them and they are a PITA to replace. I was reading a blog of a K&T owner that used pipe cleaners as wicks in his because of how much of a pain it was to fish them in the passages.
I've looked inside the saddle with a flashlight and could see a couple of wicks in there, so that sounds right. Now I've got to find some worsted wool!

Back