Silicone sheet mill column way covers

I had another idea for a way cover. I was a firefighter for 16 years, the material they made turnout gear out of is definitely heat resistant. I looked up Nomex and can get the material for $10 a yard. It isn't terribly heavy material so would definitely be flexible enough. With a yard I could probably make drapes for other areas of the machine that chips land on regularly that I'd prefer to keep them out of but it would be light enough to not bind things up. Hmmmm.

Isn't nomex like a cotton almost. That's what we used over our heads/face. At least that's what we called it.

Isn't nomex like a cotton almost. That's what we used over our heads/face. At least that's what we called it.
It is soft fuzzy when it needs to be but the stuff I am look at now is about like canvas.

I went to the store and looked at what was there. The silicone baking sheets were too short by 3.5 inches. Looking at them they are fiberglass fabric coated on both sides with silicone. I think they would hold up to the heat and the oils but would need to find one bigger to make it fit.

I found an oven liner sheet. Not sure of the material but it is stiffer than the silicone. It is heat resistant to 550 so hot chips shouldn't melt through. I have squirted it with brake cleaner, carb cleaner, WD-40 and the 4 types of oils I have in the shop. Will see if it curls up and dies or hangs tough.

Well nothing ate the oven liner so I installed it. While I was cutting it I discovered it is a fiberglass fabric coated with a plastic of some sort. Once it was installed I had to test it of course. Put a chunk of questionable lineage and took a cut. Hot chips seemed to have no effect where they were impacting on the vertical surface, I didn't cut enough to really see what it will stand but the hot chips weren't blowing through it so I am happy for the time being.

Now I need to order some stock, some mills and make some tool holders for the lathe.

I guess you could cut up some foul weather gear to make mill covers. Most foulies these days are made from rip stop nylon coated with silicone to water proof it. The silicone wears away over time. Especially if it gets washed. One the things on my project list is to recoat my foulies. They are no longer waterproof. We are getting way off topic here.

I didnt read the entire thread so if already mentioned please disregard.

I would Make sure the type id buy has some sort of structural backing material impregnated into the silicon.
If the type of silicon oven/baking liners you guys are thinking of using are the 100% silicon style then dont bother wasting your cash. Yes they are very flexible and will handle the heat, hot chips and oil but once they develop even the smallest cut or tear it then becomes rather fragile. Only a matter of time, depending on its location on the machine, before that small cut/tear travels from end to end rendering it sorta useless for its intended purposes.

I have made from the fiber reinforced silicon baking mats that my wife purchased as a role of cut to fit stuff. It also works good to cover the ways on my lathe when I do some grinding etc IF it was a little bit stiffer would be ok, as it would make things easier to vacuum off.

I use silicone sheet on my mill and it works wonderfully. Bought the material off of ebay.

Back