Silicone sheet mill column way covers

I had another idea for a way cover. I was a firefighter for 16 years, the material they made turnout gear out of is definitely heat resistant. I looked up Nomex and can get the material for $10 a yard. It isn't terribly heavy material so would definitely be flexible enough. With a yard I could probably make drapes for other areas of the machine that chips land on regularly that I'd prefer to keep them out of but it would be light enough to not bind things up. Hmmmm.

Nomex would absorb oils, and the chips would probably get snagged and stick in it.

Well nothing ate the oven liner so I installed it. While I was cutting it I discovered it is a fiberglass fabric coated with a plastic of some sort. Once it was installed I had to test it of course. Put a chunk of questionable lineage and took a cut. Hot chips seemed to have no effect where they were impacting on the vertical surface, I didn't cut enough to really see what it will stand but the hot chips weren't blowing through it so I am happy for the time being.

Now I need to order some stock, some mills and make some tool holders for the lathe.

I think you'll find those oven liners are a fibreglass fabric coated with teflon so should be resistant to just about any solvent chemical, and resistant to around 550f so should do the job.

I think you'll find those oven liners are a fibreglass fabric coated with teflon so should be resistant to just about any solvent chemical, and resistant to around 550f so should do the job.
Teflon is slippery. Those baking sheets are not. They're sort of tacky when dry. We use them under bamboo cutting boards on our granite counter so the boards don't slide around under side pressure. I discovered that by accident. :)

Teflon is slippery. Those baking sheets are not. They're sort of tacky when dry. We use them under bamboo cutting boards on our granite counter so the boards don't slide around under side pressure. I discovered that by accident. :)

I hear your point however the ones I have state on package that it is fibreglass with teflon coating, the 550f is about right, and consider that teflon tape is not slippery. Yes I know most so called teflon tapes are no longer teflon, but even the original ones that were teflon were not slippery, so maybe teflon on a frypan is different from some other forms of teflon

file.php

I think you guys are over thinking this.......high tech solutions for a lo tech problem. I made a way cover from 1/4" plywood, glued some wood blocks underneath to fit into the T slots to keep it from moving around. I glued some 3/4" square stock to the outside to make an edge to contain chips. When it gets full, lift off and dump the chips into a bucket.

OP: "The rubber "way cover" on my mill needs to be replaced...". Not t-slot covers.

Last edited:
I just use a t shaped scraper tool and a shop vac. Easy

Sorry, I guess I misread that. I had just come back from the dentist for an extraction......the drugs are wonderful. Now that I'm little more sober, I can say that I use sheet rubber roofing.

Back