Silver solder suggestions

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
What kind of silver solder would our members suggest that would not break the bank, to use for making HSS boring or cutting tools? I always see Harris Stay-Brite Silver Bearing Solder & Stay Clean Liquid Flux Kit on ebay. Is it any good and is there other similar products like this that is worth looking at? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Link?
Amazon has some good deals also.

What kind of silver solder would our members suggest that would not break the bank, to use for making HSS boring or cutting tools? I always see Harris Stay-Brite Silver Bearing Solder & Stay Clean Liquid Flux Kit on ebay. Is it any good and is there other similar products like this that is worth looking at? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Silver (bearing) solder is not what you want for the purpose stated, not at all! It is made for soldering stainless steel and is mostly tin with a trace of silver; it is a "silver bearing soft solder". What you need is a solder that is mostly silver and copper. It would not use a liquid flux, but a white colored paste made (mostly) of borax.

Silver (bearing) solder is not what you want for the purpose stated, not at all! It is made for soldering stainless steel and is mostly tin with a trace of silver; it is a "silver bearing soft solder". What you need is a solder that is mostly silver and copper. It would not use a liquid flux, but a white colored paste made (mostly) of borax.
I see I have posted about this before, but do you have a suggestion for me Ben? All I know is this stuff is expensive around here asspecialy the Flux coated ones.

I do not think it is cheap anywhere --- I do not know what spec, exactly, but what I have used is called #1200, which is, I think, it's melting point; the flux, is simply called silver solder flux, I would not bother with the flux coated kind, I just use the bare wire coil, usually 1/16" diameter.

Is it called silver solder flux or is this just the flux? Sorry for all the questions.

It is called silver solder flux. I have always just bought it from the local welding supply store.

Hold on a minute. I'm a master plumber (35 years) and also silver solder steel tubing for my model airplanes. Which solder is this? And for what metal?

I think they are asking about high temperature silver soldering - more like brazing. It is usually done with an acetylene-oxygen torch. They are not talking about the low temperature tin/copper/silver alloy solder that replaced tin/lead solder for potable water.

Back