Silver solder suggestions

Who doesn't love a good thread drift? :grin:

The steel tubing in those photos that I'm essentially butt joint welding is with 56% silver solder and appropriate flux. Put a joint in a vise and beat it with a hammer and it might fail. Maybe. Very strong joints.

People call it silver "soldering" but when using the higher temperature hard, higher percentage silver it is actually silver "brazing". The difference is the percentage of silver content and the temperature required to melt it. You want hard silver solder (silver brazing) for bonding a HSS tool bit to a steel or alloy bar.

Ted

Here's the flux I bought, both white and black depending on the temperature needed:

Black:

White:

The flat ribbon solder is nice for brazing tool bits, but I went for best price and I also wanted the wire for brazing other things besides tool bits.

Ted

People call it silver "soldering" but when using the higher temperature hard, higher percentage silver it is actually silver "brazing". The difference is the percentage of silver content and the temperature required to melt it. You want hard silver solder (silver brazing) for bonding a HSS tool bit to a steel or alloy bar.

Ted
I have also used Harris Safety-Silv with the black flux to braze carbide to CRS. Here's a pic of a RH boring bar for use in external turning using a boring head. The carbide is a piece from a damaged TPG insert.

LH Boring Bar - 2.jpg

Last edited:
We could pay $50 each and just pass it around to look at it. He might make $1000's that way. I'm interested as well.

$50 for what? I seem to have lost track of the thread.

Silver solder is not that expensive, since a little goes a long way.

Silver solder is not that expensive, since a little goes a long way.

Yes, it doesn't take much! With a good, clean, tight fit the solder will suck right in.... don't over do it and end up with a puddle of silver on your bench or floor!

That Harris silver I bought will most likely last me the rest of my life (Yeah, I'm older, but hopefully around for quite a while longer!).

Ted

The silver solder used to tip carbide tools commercially is a silver alloy/ copper /silver alloy sandwich; the copper shim provides a cushion between the shank and the carbide bit, aside from that ideal solution, silver alloy strip would be the second best, wire after that. After the silver flows, the carbide bit it pushed firmly against the shank until the silver is solidified.

Thanks everyone for your input. You have helped alot. I think I will go with the Harris safty-silv and black flux. I just need to see where I can get it cheapest considering I live in South Africa and shipping is a bit expensive from the US.

Back