Simple gunsmithing tools

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered
My oldest son is a Deputy Sherriff, and has several weaponshe likes to maintain/customize himself.
He has asked me to make him some simple tools for the AR-15, anda Glock 17. Does anyone here have anydrawings/specs for some simple tools an amateur machinist can make? For examplethe armorer tool to remove the frame pins from his Glock. What size are the pins? Length and dia.? What materialshould I use? Any info would be appreciated. Any good refference books available?
Chuck

I would personally machine the tools based on his firearms - measure, and match your machining to those measurements.

I would personally machine the tools based on his firearms - measure, and match your machining to those measurements.

I would normally do just that, Purplev, but he lives 3000 mi away. And, I don't have those weapons.
Chuck

The Glock Armorer's tool had a single punch 3/32" about 1 1/2" long with a 2 1'2" plastic handle. Theirs is steel, but I have seen others that are brass.

The AR 15 rear take-down pins and front pivot pins are 1/4" a soft brass or delrin pusher is nice if the pins are tight.

You can look at sites like brownells for ideas, search Glock tools or AR15 tools.

The Glock Armorer's tool had a single punch 3/32" about 1 1/2" long with a 2 1'2" plastic handle. Theirs is steel, but I have seen others that are brass.

The AR 15 rear take-down pins and front pivot pins are 1/4" a soft brass or delrin pusher is nice if the pins are tight.

You can look at sites like brownells for ideas, search Glock tools or AR15 tools.

Thanks Sharky, That's what I wanted to know...

Do you think reinforced fiberglass would work for the Glock tool? I'm thinking non-maring punch.

Chuck

I don't think the fiberglass would be strong enough, I've seen several of the steel factory Glock tools get bent by over ambitious armorers. I personally like the brass. You could even do steel with a brass or nylon insert tip?

As far as non-marring, the Tenifer finish on the Glock is almost diamond-hard (rub a quarter on the slide and the slide will file down the quarter) There's only 3 pins on the generation 2, 3 or 4 Glocks. 2 are steel, 1 is plastic so the punch tool doesn't get a lot of use nor have many places to mar anything.

I don't think the fiberglass would be strong enough, I've seen several of the steel factory Glock tools get bent by over ambitious armorers. I personally like the brass. You could even do steel with a brass or nylon insert tip?

As far as non-marring, the Tenifer finish on the Glock is almost diamond-hard (rub a quarter on the slide and the slide will file down the quarter) There's only 3 pins on the generation 2, 3 or 4 Glocks. 2 are steel, 1 is plastic so the punch tool doesn't get a lot of use nor have many places to mar anything.

Thanks again, Sharky, brass tipped steel it is. Got a nice Bradford Pear wood handle made for it already!

Chuck

LOL! Kids, now he wants a stag handle... Oh well, got to try and please 'em, eh?

I'm not sure what the plastic material is, but it came from a rod that was used to push/pull cat 5 cable. It had a crimped on ferrule to screw into another section. Somebody broke the end off. I cut off a piece on the band saw, and turned it to 3/32" dia in the lathe. Makes a fine powder swarf. I also made one from brass and will make one from drill rod and temper it.The handle will have a steel ferrule with a set screw so he can change the tips to suit himself.
Now he's also wanting a bench block for the Glock! What next? He'll probably want me to move out there and do it for him...

Chuck

I finished the Glock tool today. Decided to make brass, fiberglass, and steel pins and let the son decide which he likes best. I set the pins in a 1/4" holder that fits into a collar on the handle and is secured with a set screw. That way, if he needs another pin, of a different size, I can make it to fit his handle. I'm going to make another like it to fit my swiss file sets.

Pic here: http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/media/Glock Tool/DSCF1461_zps3ae6f8dd.jpg.html

Thanks Sharky, couldn't have done it without your help.

Chuck

looks nice!

yeah..3000 miles away would make it a bit difficult to take measurements :)

Back