Simple gunsmithing tools

If any of your son's Glock's have the front sight retained by the small machine screw inset into a circular depression, purchase a 3/16th inch nut driver, chuck it up in the lathe and turn the driver end down to 0.271" diameter to fit within that depression.

The small machine screw's head is 3/16th inch, and that circular depression is about 0.275" diameter.

Thanks steve. Sent your idea to my son. Will do the modded driver and send it with the pin tool if he can use it.

Chuck

Want a cheap bench block?
Hockey pucks work great, cost is maybe 2.00.

Want a cheap bench block?
Hockey pucks work great, cost is maybe 2.00.
My son may have Hockey pucks in the local sports eporium in Idaho, but I doubt I'll find one in E. TN! We don't get much ice here.
Chuck

My son may have Hockey pucks in the local sports eporium, but I doubt I'll find one in E. TN! We don't get much ice here.
Chuck

Nashville Predators ring a bell?

An indispensable GS tool, a 4 oz brass hammer. Good turning project.

The most useful GS tools?
Reference materials, every single one you can find, even if you don't think it will ever apply.
Brownells "Gunsmith Kinks" and Bob Dunlaps "Gunsmithing" are great starts......

Nashville Predators ring a bell?

An indispensable GS tool, a 4 oz brass hammer. Good turning project.

The most useful GS tools?
Reference materials, every single one you can find, even if you don't think it will ever apply.
Brownells "Gunsmith Kinks" and Bob Dunlaps "Gunsmithing" are great starts......

I'll check the Local Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow. Brass hammer, why didn't I think of that?
Thanks for the inspiration.

Chuck

If any of your son's Glock's have the front sight retained by the small machine screw inset into a circular depression, purchase a 3/16th inch nut driver, chuck it up in the lathe and turn the driver end down to 0.271" diameter to fit within that depression.

The small machine screw's head is 3/16th inch, and that circular depression is about 0.275" diameter.

Picked up a nice Kobalt Nut Driver/Screw Driver set at Lowe's today and modified the 3/16 driver. Thanks again.

Any other nut driver mods that would be needed before I send out the set?

Also checked for a Hockey Puck at Dick's Sporting Goods today. They didn't have them. They could order them but would charge me with shipping. $7 bux shipping for a $2 part? Naw, I'll wait until the next trip to snow country or find a thick PTFE cutting board.

Any more good simple ideas?

Oh, the son does not have(yet) and probably doesn't know how to use measuring devices to give me the dimentions of a Glock so I could mill a bench block for aGlock anyway. Does anyone have a Glock 17 they could trace the outline of, and mark out the locations of the 3 pins, scan and e mail it to me? Son is working double shifts on roadblocks in the fires outside Boise. Don't know when he'll get the time.

Chuck

Picked up a nice Kobalt Nut Driver/Screw Driver set at Lowe's today and modified the 3/16 driver. Thanks again.

Any other nut driver mods that would be needed before I send out the set?

Also checked for a Hockey Puck at Dick's Sporting Goods today. They didn't have them. They could order them but would charge me with shipping. $7 bux shipping for a $2 part? Naw, I'll wait until the next trip to snow country or find a thick PTFE cutting board.

Any more good simple ideas?

Oh, the son does not have(yet) and probably doesn't know how to use measuring devices to give me the dimentions of a Glock so I could mill a bench block for aGlock anyway. Does anyone have a Glock 17 they could trace the outline of, and mark out the locations of the 3 pins, scan and e mail it to me? Son is working double shifts on roadblocks in the fires outside Boise. Don't know when he'll get the time.

Chuck

Not that I can think of Chuck, that 3/16" machine screw is the only hex fastener on a Glock as far as I can remember. Haven't worked on many since I sold the gunshop 9 years ago, but don't recall any others.

Last edited:
If these are his duty arms, I'd advise that he checks with the CO about any regulations about modifications and self repair. I was a manager in a gun shop that was approved to make repairs/customizations on duty arms for several local jurisdictions. Not all repair shops had the certification and most jurisdictions had regulations on what was/wasn't allowed even though the arms were the private property of the LEO. Often times, an arm had to be recertified after significant work.

Ray

My oldest son is a Deputy Sherriff, and has several weaponshe likes to maintain/customize himself.
He has asked me to make him some simple tools for the AR-15, anda Glock 17. Does anyone here have anydrawings/specs for some simple tools an amateur machinist can make? For examplethe armorer tool to remove the frame pins from his Glock. What size are the pins? Length and dia.? What materialshould I use? Any info would be appreciated. Any good refference books available?
Chuck

^^^^ Valid point. Most departments require only certified armorers perform any service work besides basic field strip/cleaning.

Glock front sight screws are metric in size BTW, 5mm.
3/16" will work in a pinch but the first time you run into one that was red LocTited, you aint gonna be happy.

Back