Single Point Threading = no Depth Gauge Joe P.

Not till I failed on the 2nd attempt did I read the print again, and there it was - 18 TPI.

Mis-read is one of my problems, but also some 8's really look like 6's........and vise-versa.
It's like my eyes are getting older every day!
-brino

Projectnut,

Are you telling me a 1-1/16x16 barrel tenon will not screw all the way into a action with 1-1/16x18 thread?

Well, I tried desperately, and in fact I cut off the tenon and cut new one, still the same results.

My brother has a glued in bench gun, I volunteered to make him a fire forming barrel from a shot out barrel. The action being glued, cant test fit till done since I was chambering through the headstock.

I downloaded the tenon print from the action manufacturer, used it to cut the barrel, somehow I proved I could not read, my mind was focused on the 1 1/16, and at that time I was doing a lot of AR15 barrels with 16 TPI tenon. Automatically, I set the gearbox to cut 16.

Not till I failed on the 2nd attempt did I read the print again, and there it was - 18 TPI.

Welcome to the Slow Learners Club. This is a fairly exclusive community. Not many qualify, and those that do often live in a world of their own. Most of us are ahead of the times. Because of the way we think and the things we do people have been social distancing themselves from us for years. Who knew it would come in handy some day.

Projectnut,
Are you saying us hobby machinists are loners?
Well, I for one am to a tee. There is nothing I would rather do than spend a week in my shop.
The perfect vacation!

I wouldn't necessarily classify all hobby machinists as loners or introverts. I for one spent 20+ years dealing with customers in the auto repair business and another 20+ years dealing with people in the machine design, fabrication, and production environment. I did (in most cases) like the people, and thoroughly enjoyed the work.

The work was demanding and more often than not required 60 to 80 hour work weeks. Add into that traveling for 200+ days a year and it was just about all consuming. Time with the family and in the shop was all but non existent. Fortunately it was rewarding, and the wife didn't have a problem with it. Now that I'm officially retired it's time to do the family things and hobby things I missed out on during my working career. Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed every minute of it, and wouldn't change a thing. It's just time to change course and slow down a bit.

Of course we are all different with splendid personalities.
Life would be so boring and predictable if we were all the same.
I have noticed over my 63 years that some people that are mechanically inclined are a bit awkward in a social setting. (I'm including in this category.)
On the other hand, I've worked around sales guys also, I have found most sales oriented people do not know how to work a screw driver.
I'm not trying throw any stones or anything, this is just my personal observation.

Jeff, I'm late to the party. That said, before you go buying fancy mics and gauges watch all of Joe's threading videos. Think abt subscribing, he's got tons of great stuff. The threading series covers measuring over 1, 2, or three wires as well as what specs to cut your own plug gauges. He'll have you cutting your relief groove with your threading tool so you can use 1 or 2 wires to measure and cut it to finished pitch diameter. Then you'll set your dial to 0 and cut threads to 0 with confidence to full depth of thread as proven by using your wires to measure pitch diameter. P.D. wires are cheap and come with instructions, and Machinery Handbook will show you how to find your over the wire numbers. It's satisfying to look it up and cut it to proper standards and know it will fit storebought hardware. Another super handy gadget is the machinist calculator from Calculated Industries. It will spit out all the threading info once you give it the class (A or B) and size. It will tell you what wires to use, your pd #'s, pd#'s with the wires you have if you don't have the perfect wire, major and minor diameters, tap drills, clearance drills, everything you need and then some. It's like having the information I get from 3 or 4 places in the Handbook on a few buttons . Mine is the app not the physical calculator, a great way to try it on the cheap. It has speed and feed calculating functions, as well as Trig functions in addition to threads. It is the prince of shop calculators in my humble opinion. I rely on their carpentry one to help me make a living, it's all aces too. Enjoy your Joe Pi and your thread cutting.

Introverts unite!
No, we don't! That's what makes us introverts. (sorta like the Procrastinator's Club - we're all members, just haven't gotten around to submitting the paperwork).

But on a more serious note, I've found that "social distancing" has not made that great a change in my life. I do have a lot of sympathy for those who are extroverts. This is probably hitting them pretty hard. Social media, etc. will only take you so far. It's a poor substitute for close, personal contact. Be well, everybody ... and ENDURE.

Yeah.. Hasn't bothered me much. My sister sent me a meme showing a programmer normally working, and one on quarantine. Same picture for both.. :)

Work, cut some metal, maybe make a few radio contacts... Sleep, repeat.

Back