Single Point Threading = no Depth Gauge Joe P.

I thought about buying a mic....but being Chinese and different anvils...I passed. Especially after seeing Joe P’s video. I’ll stick with wires.
Mr Pete has a trick where he uses a piece of delrin plastic to hold the wires. It’s almost impossible to hold the damned wires and a mic with just 2 hands. Using a cork or piece of plastic really makes it a breeze. And in all honesty....as critical as threads can be....I just wouldn’t trust a Cheap Asian import mic with A bunch of interchangeable anvils. Seems like a recipe for a screw up.

Tim, can't disagree with you but those Chinese mics might be better than you think. I was using a borrowed Fowler thread mic with changeable anvils for maybe 10 years or so. Yeah, over 10 years, good friend! Anyway, I finally got my mitts on a Tesa 0-1" and 1-2" thread mic set. They were in mint condition and read dead on with the Tesa standard. Before I sent that Fowler back to my friend, I checked it against my Tesa mics and it read dead on the same and the readings were consistent from bolt to bolt.

The Fowler set looks exactly like the one sold by Shars and others. Not saying they are going to be as accurate but I bet they will be. I used thread wires for over 10 years and I can tell you that they are more technique-dependent that many realize. If your mic anvils are off center, or there is debris, burrs or oil under those wires the readings will be off. And I am not guessing at this. Thread mics are much more forgiving of error in addition to being direct reading, fast and accurate.

Your call. The choice to go with thread wires or a mic is a personal choice but I will never go back to wires except for Acme or BSW threads or if I have a work piece larger than 2".

Good to know Mike. I was ready to buy a Shars anvil type mike since I’ve always had good luck with Shars. But it had a bad review. Maybe it was a troll. Anyway...God I’ve got lots of tools. And I really need to slow down. Already have wires and Joe P is a sharp guy. Since I really have done most of my threads by feel....it’s not really something I use much to begin with. Last thing I did use wires and it was a dead nuts nice thread....so I’ll probably just stick with what I got.

The Canadian military will not accept using thread wires to measure and validate your threads. Only a NIST traceable thread mic is acceptable. Been that way for 40 years at least.

The Canadian military will not accept using thread wires to measure and validate your threads. Only a NIST traceable thread mic is acceptable. Been that way for 40 years at least.

Interesting that the Canadian military would specify traceability to a U.S. government agency. Sensible, but still seems odd.

Interesting that the Canadian military would specify traceability to a U.S. government agency. Sensible, but still seems odd.

Standards know no borders :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty simple. CSA is also specified in contracts, but since everything under the sun is traceable back to NIST, it is specified preferentially.

Back