Single Point Threading on a PM-1030V?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I had hoped to do better than a thread title with a question mark in it! That means that I haven’t figured this out yet.

I definitely know how to do single point threading on a lathe. At school, we had the big domestic machines where you used the TPI chart in order to find out where to put the levers to set the TPI.

The 1030V has a chart on it which I do not yet understand even though I have read the manual twice.

To me, the question was which change gears (if I am using that term correctly) came installed in the machine. I figured that out by physically looking at the gears when I had the door open to change from low to high range.

I am on my phone now, but I will get on a laptop and upload the chart when I get on a PC.

My main question is why they have an “H” listed next to the bottom (largest) gear. This is why I put the lathe into the high range, but this did not change the thread pitches that I was cutting. Also, as you know, the spindle RPM did not change the thread pitch.

My plan today (which was not a success) was to use the A, B and C speeds (the knob on the headstock) to see what TPI that I would cut. The A and C choices cut threads with TPIs that were in excess of 100 TPI, so I don’t know what went wrong there.

The B selection (which rotates the leadscrew the fastest cut either 32 or 36 TPI (I don’t remember), but that TPI value did not correspond to anything in a B row in the chart.

I found it interesting that the spindle speed had no effect on the TPI. So I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that putting into high range still resulted in the 32 (or 36?) TPI mentioned above.

So hopefully somebody can give me a clue about how to proceed. I am going to go back and read the manual yet again.

This is the chart that I have yet to understand:

NEW-THREAD-TABLE-2017.jpg

Have got the manual off of P-M's site, now,
Step 1: post up a picture of the chart(s) off of your machine.
*EDIT* NVM.... (hehe)

Posting more pictures now...

I wonder what this is a picture of. Is that a tool bit cutting a 45 degree chamfer? I imagine that it is a reference to the power feed speed for the carriage and cross slide. What are the black ovals supposed to represent?

IMG_7758.JPG

Posting more pictures now...

I wonder what this is a picture of. Is that a tool bit cutting a 45 degree chamfer? I imagine that it is a reference to the power feed speed for the carriage and cross slide. What are the black ovals supposed to represent?

View attachment 313721
One shows you the speed while feeding with the saddle - left to right
The other is while facing with the cross slide - in and out.
At least that's my interpretation of them.

Jump into the chat room.

Here are some pictures of the fun. If at all possible, I turn between centers for the historical experience..
IMG_7717.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG

And more pictures which are self explanatory:

IMG_7731.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7748.JPG
IMG_7737.JPG
IMG_7729.JPG

I would change your set-up a bit , and this is only my opinion not knowing what lathe you're using . I myself would keep your tailstock quill in as far as possible , and have my tool hang out a little for clearance . That overhang in the tailstock will introduce chatter and possibly even a tapered part . A cnc reduced center would buy you some tool clearance . This is only my opinion , take it with a grain of salt .:)

Back