Single Point Threading on a PM-1030V?

I know it's for a different model, but the chart looks like it works the same way.
That thread looks to be entirely pertinent to my issue.

I will pick this up again tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Depends on what quality of thread you need.
With a quick change on the 1440 - no problem, now when I only had the Logan, I'd do as you noted and run a die. Changing the gears is a PITA.
One day I will have a lathe where you don't have to change the gears. In the meantime, I have the feeling that I will be spending a lot of time changing gears!

I dunno', change gear lathes aren't so bad. They can definitely cut more threads than most lathes with just a QCGB. You sort of get used to changing gears once you know what you're doing and it doesn't take a whole lot of time and effort. Don't get me wrong; a QCGB is nice to have but it doesn't function any different than any other lathe and it certainly doesn't make you a better machinist.

I dunno', change gear lathes aren't so bad. They can definitely cut more threads than most lathes with just a QCGB. You sort of get used to changing gears once you know what you're doing and it doesn't take a whole lot of time and effort. Don't get me wrong; a QCGB is nice to have but it doesn't function any different than any other lathe and it certainly doesn't make you a better machinist.

I am going to learn how to do it. The threads linked above contain most of the answers.

I will make a forum post (with pictures) the first time I slog through it.

Especially after picking up on Will's 'piece o' paper' trick. :encourage: Totally forgot that.
Makes me what to re-visit my Logan - then I remember that the half-nuts are chowdered and that is yet another item on the 'To-Do' list. :grin:

I wonder how long it takes a person to switch out the gears, assuming that they know how to do it.

I wonder how long it takes a person to switch out the gears, assuming that they know how to do it.

Once you lay out the tools and gears you need, takes only a few minutes. My Emco lathe has a QCGB that is actually quite good but I don't hesitate to change gears if I need to cut something the stock gears cannot handle. Just think of all the guys with "old iron" QCGB lathes that don't have change gears. If they don't have the thread pitch gears they need in their QCGB then they cannot cut that special thread on the lathe. Most of us know that a lathe is not complete without a full set of change gears, even if yours has a QCGB ... surprise!

One day I will have a lathe where you don't have to change the gears. In the meantime, I have the feeling that I will be spending a lot of time changing gears!

Most lathes will need some sort of gear change, from imperial to metric at the least. That is unless you go CNC or get a big and/or expensive industrial lathe. Prepare to spend a lot of money on a lathe that doesn't require swapping a gear.

Back