Single to three phase.

Todd Adams

Registered
Registered
Just purchased a Baldor 510 thinking it was a 500. Only $40.00 with stand and 4 diamond wheels. Do they make a small single to three phase converter? These grinders are $1600.00 and I really want to keep it.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210116_165859.jpg
    20210116_165859.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
The Teco VFD's are recommended a number of times here.
I bet @mksj could recommend a particular model based on application and required current.

-brino

I'm tired of everyone "recommending" a VFD for every single piece of equipment.... This machine really wont from gain anything with a VFD.... Get a Static Phase Converter...... They are cheap, simple, easy to wire and they work!

I just ordered the last one. Phew
Now I need to find a schematic .
Thanks again.

A static converter would be just as good as a VFD, in this application. Even simpler would be to wire in a capacitor to the third phase on the motor. It would not be as stable as a VFD, or even as a phase converter. But with the flywheel action of a couple of grinding wheels, plenty good enough. VFDs do well in a number of applications, especially where spped should be varied. But for a grinder????? I can't say what value cap to use, but a couple or three motor starting caps would fit the bill. I have the conversion factors, somewhere, on paper. But not handy. . .

The big issue is to ensure the motor is wired for 240. Connect Ph1 to Ph1, Ph2 to Ph2, and a cap to Ph3 from either line. If it runs backward, wire to the other line. A little research will tell what value cap. Use a Non-Polarized electrolytic. A Radio Shack electrolytic will blow up in your face. Use something motor rated.

@Todd Adams note that you need access to 220v for the phase converter.

C’mon Bill. Radio Shack!!, the last time I saw an open Radio Shack, it was next door to the then closing Montgomery-Wards store, in the now defunct Riverside Mall in Utica, NY................................

Back