• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Slitting Saw Arbor/Holder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Got to take your word for it...since I can't see anything. :)

David

Wxm88

Lol, was trying to upload the pictures and you beat me to it. They are there now.

kvt

Active User
looks good, But looks like that blade might be missing a couple of teeth.

Dave Smith

Active User
looks good--you could mill or file a couple flats on it to use a wrench to hold it while snugging your screw tight--it looks like your blade is on backwards for the teeth to cut, but my eyes may not be the best--Dave

Wxm88

looks good--you could mill or file a couple flats on it to use a wrench to hold it while snugging your screw tight--it looks like your blade is on backwards for the teeth to cut, but my eyes may not be the best--Dave
Yes, you were correct. It was a broken blade and I was just testing on tightening it...

Wxm88

Aluminum would be my last choice of material for an arbor, steel and even alloy steel is more to be desired.
Yeah, I need to cut a split slot, and aluminum was the only material in hand. Anyway, it did serve the purpose, will see how it goes. The worst case is to make another when I have tool steel in hand.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
I take it you are referring to a slitting saw and not a split saw ? Gotta go with steel and a good grade at that . Nice job though and it worked which is the main thing .

benmychree

John York
Yes, it is backwards, cutting forces would unscrew it in use.

benmychree

John York
I take it you are referring to a slitting saw and not a split saw ? Gotta go with steel and a good grade at that . Nice job though and it worked which is the main thing .
Actually, that saw is a screw slotter, not a slitting saw which would have way fewer teeth and consequently more chip space; screw slotters are made for shallow cuts as in straight slotted screw heads.

benmychree

John York
Pun intended! Once I saw a whole gang of slitting saws, like 6 or so do that; the guy was slitting physical test coupons (for Charpy impact test pieces) on a piece of junk Cincinnati #5 mill from the WW-1 era, something jammed up and it took out all the 1/8 X 6 slitters; the bosses were not pleased, to say the least.

EmilioG

Active User
Nice tool but what you don't want in a slitting saw arbor is too much run out, which will affect the cutting action.
Let us know how it works out. I've never seen an aluminum arbor.

Wxm88

Nice tool but what you don't want in a slitting saw arbor is too much run out, which will affect the cutting action.
Let us know how it works out. I've never seen an aluminum arbor.
I don't really have much application of slitting, and I am hoping to get away with aluminum for my occasionally use. Plus, I left enough material so that I can reshape it necessary.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I saw a very good way of assuring zero runout on a slitting saw on a mill. I believe it was posted by WreckWreck.

Mount the arbor in the mill. Mount a turning/facing lathe tool in the mill vise. Do a cleanup cut on the arbor deep enough to have a new support for the slitting saw. Face the end to length. Install the saw and go to work.

EmilioG

Active User
Interesting idea Bob but won’t that arbor now be specific to that mill? I wouldn’t do this to a nice commercial arbor, maybe a shop made?
Not poo pooing the technique. Just asking. :)

Bob Korves

Interesting idea Bob but won’t that arbor now be specific to that mill? I wouldn’t do this to a nice commercial arbor, maybe a shop made?
Not poo pooing the technique. Just asking. :)
The tool gets cut each time it is installed. Only a few thousandths are necessary to clean it up each time. That approach takes spindle runout and arbor runout completely out of the equation (within reason.)

Wxm88

Yeah, It might come to that (cutting before every use) if necessary. I really don’t use the splitting that much, and would not think twice if I have to re-shape the tool for the round out.

[6]
[5] [7]