small 12V hydraulic power unit question

davidh

Active User
Registered
I have a Honda 4x4 with a v-plow mounted on it. I made a pair of single acting hydraulic cylinders using 1" hydraulic tubing and aluminum pistons, to control the V-shape without needing to get off the machine and change pin / rod locations manually when plowing snow.
I was stumped about what to use for a pump for operation of it and finally my mind settled on maybe using a pump / motor assembly from a car convertible top operator.
there are lots of them for sale on evilbay but I don't need to buy something that won't work.
does anyone have experience with these type of pump / motor units ? and / or an opinion on what im trying to do ?

I could be wrong, but I doubt that those pumps would put out enough pressure to raise the plow, but it might be strong enough to change the V configuration. The weight of a convertible top is negligible.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that those pumps would put out enough pressure to raise the plow, but it might be strong enough to change the V configuration. The weight of a convertible top is negligible.

Another larger dia. ram or cyl could give the required lift, but not knowing much about these pumps I would still suspect the lift function would be slow.

If I remember correctly, a convertible top hydraulic unit will put out around 300 psi. If your Honda has a power takeoff you could use a power steering pump. A Toyota pump comes to mind, it has a separate tank.

You could try a tilt and trim power unit from I/O marine engine. I can remember if there double acting but should work. They have a small plastic reservoir with vertical pump/motor.

I have a Honda 4x4 with a v-plow mounted on it. I made a pair of single acting hydraulic cylinders using 1" hydraulic tubing and aluminum pistons, to control the V-shape without needing to get off the machine and change pin / rod locations manually when plowing snow.
I was stumped about what to use for a pump for operation of it and finally my mind settled on maybe using a pump / motor assembly from a car convertible top operator.
there are lots of them for sale on evilbay but I don't need to buy something that won't work.
does anyone have experience with these type of pump / motor units ? and / or an opinion on what im trying to do ?

How about using a used or new porta-power type unit. It could be disconnected in Spring & used for many other things. I'm thinking in terms of a plow lift. I don't think it would work for the V adjustment since it is basically a hand pumped ram-powering unit.

If I remember correctly, a convertible top hydraulic unit will put out around 300 psi. If your Honda has a power takeoff you could use a power steering pump. A Toyota pump comes to mind, it has a separate tank.

I agree with jim that a power steering pump would be inexpensive and could be driven by a belt pulley or a 12volt motor---Dave

There hydraulic winch pump too. You will find this on off road cars.

If it must be hydraulic, you can check here: http://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulics/

But, you may want to look into linear electric actuators. I believe there are some available for 12V systems, but it might be a good idea to run them off a separate onboard battery, as they can draw quite a bit of current under load.

My ATV only has a straight plow, so I just move it up and down with the winch.

Tom

Back