Small 2 flute deep slotting aluminum

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm not sure how to figure out if I can do this. I propose a cutting depth of .625" with a 2 flute .250 carbide end mill. The stock is .750" thick. I need to cut the outside of a part. The shape would be milled with x and y axis as well as rotary motion from the rotary table. Essentially slotting the exterior profile around the whole part. I'm thinking come in from outside the part to complete the x and y axis features. That would give me places to start the rotary motion without first plunging. I believe I can plunge to depth with a two flute mill. So I plan to mill a slot .625" deep in .750" material that generally describes a circle with the addition of two rectangular features. Can this be done at full depth without breaking the mill? Thoughts? What I understand is that I can't do this, but I'm pretty sure I have seen it done on cnc. So yeah, what do you guys say?

Chip clearance and evacuation may be an issue . CNC's would do this no problem , they also have high speed spindles and air jets etc . Why not use a larger end mill ?

I'm not sure how to figure out if I can do this.
Well CRAP ! I was in Cameron Missouri 2 nights ago ! :grin: We ate at Dino's Diner if you are familiar with it .

Edited the Diner name . Shelly's was in Columbus .

It can be done on a manual mill. Full depth. Spin it as fast as you can. If you have cool mist or the like. That will be great. You HAVE TO EVACUATE TGE CHIPS with some lube. WD40 or Kerosene. If you don’t have a cool mist. Use your air and rig something up. A 1/2” end mill will be fine. You can then clean the side walls up with a climb cut. Steady feed. You will be able to feel how fast you can cut.

Chip clearance is the key here.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I eat at the diner some. Small world, I'm a long way from Maryland. As to the size. I want the price of the little mills, and the tight radius. It gives me one more place I can clamp the parent material too, barely. A very important clamp. As to speed, I can give it 5000 rpm or so. Not sure I want to spin faster.

T, it's a 1/4" mill. Still doable?

T, it's a 1/4" mill. Still doable?

Yes it is slow and steady with that cutter. BLAST the chips out with lots and lots of air. It will work. Keep that cutter wet also.

EDIT: RPM is your friend. Spin as fast as your machine will go. Make sure you have everything just snug on your rotary table. No slop on the feed. That will snap your cutter right now.

Cutting oil is my blood.

That definitely presents a challenge. I have neither flood nor mist set up. I don't have big shop air either. My biggest compressor is enough to run a house framing crew balls to the wall. It's not enough to keep up with me using the air nozzle for sweeping/cleaning. hmm

I just thought of the wet aspect of that mess. I'm used to cleaning up chips from every corner, but running high pressure air and any mist or flood would be a whole 'nother dimension.

I just thought of the wet aspect of that mess. I'm used to cleaning up chips from every corner, but running high pressure air and any mist or flood would be a whole 'nother dimension.

Ok. How about you just give it a quick blast of air every few seconds. You need some sort of lube cutting aluminum. If you don’t the aluminum will melt on to your cutter really quick. It does not have to flowing wet. Just enough to keep the chips from bonding.

Machining is a messy proposition by nature. Set up some simple deflection shields to try and contain the chips.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back