Small 2 flute deep slotting aluminum

I think my compressor can keep up with each feature at a time, with the possible exception of the longest chunk of radius. I'll let it build up and rest between features. I usually use a spray bottle full of kerosene with a bit of motor oil sparingly on Al. I would entertain non flammable ideas though if I was adding compressed air to the process.

Funny, I hate the smell of WD, but I like the stink of fuel.

I just thought of the wet aspect of that mess. I'm used to cleaning up chips from every corner, but running high pressure air and any mist or flood would be a whole 'nother dimension.
Keep it wet and use a wet/dry vac . :grin:

I think my compressor can keep up with each feature at a time, with the possible exception of the longest chunk of radius. I'll let it build up and rest between features. I usually use a spray bottle full of kerosene with a bit of motor oil sparingly on Al. I would entertain non flammable ideas though if I was adding compressed air to the process.

Kerosene in the short bottle is fine. Great in fact.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Funny, I hate the smell of WD, but I like the stink of fuel.
LOL . When leaving Cameron there was a tractor parade going on . Had to wait 5 minutes or so at the intersection and got many pics of the machines . Seems they have plenty of diesel out there ! :grin:

You weren't in this group were you ? :big grin:

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 10
Do you want a 1/4" wide slot? Or are you targeting a large dimension? I'm asking as you won't get a 1/4" slot by slotting with a 1/4" endmill. Plus the finish on the walls of the slot will look pretty terrible trying to do it in one pass.

I would a) chain drill it with a 3/16" drill, then full depth with a 3/16" endmill and either finish with the same by taking the rest off each side of the slot or swap in a 1/4" endmill to finish width and depth or b) use the same 3/16" endmill, cut the slots in probably 3 passes then finish as above.

Endmills always slot oversize, more so when you run them full depth. And I don't think you'll have a cat in hells chance of keeping that slot clear of chips at the cutting edge when you're cutting 2.5xD. Slotting deep features is perhaps one of the most difficult milling operations to pull off well in my experience.

The outside dimensions of this part aren't critical, but it does need a good finish. I thought about drilling ahead of milling. My dro can give me coordinants for an approximate arc. Maybe I could do that on a slightly larger diameter and then come in to final dimension for a sweeping pass. I can plunge with the two flute can't I? I thought I understood them to be center cutting. I could see the drill having advantages like chips clearing . A mill could be used to make tighter steps making for less work on the clean up pass though.

I was hoping to avoid making progressively deeper passes especially the areas that require the part to rotate, but it's looking like a whole lot of work to avoid it. Maybe instead I'll start a bit proud and take it to depth in steps . taking a light finish pass to diameter at full depth. Any thoughts as to how deep of a pass to take with the mill when full contact slotting? Like 1 x diameter, or?

Back