Smithy MI-1337L Lathe

@George R

Not sure if your still looking, but Penn Tool company has the Birmingham version of the G4003, with a gap @ a similar price.

I've been using a Birmingham 13x40 for over 10 years. It's been a great lathe.

Thanks

I’ll take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@George R

Not sure if your still looking, but Penn Tool company has the Birmingham version of the G4003, with a gap @ a similar price.

I've been using a Birmingham 13x40 for over 10 years. It's been a great lathe.

That Birmingham looks exactly like my G4003G.

Thanks guys. I looked at the Birmingham, but felt more comfortable about the support I would get from Precision Matthews.

I ordered a PM-1236-PEP this morning.

Now, I just have the wait until June or July to get it and get the spot in the garage ready for it. I have to reorganize a little and run the electrical for a dedicated circuit.

It will be my first metal lathe.

Thanks guys. I looked at the Birmingham, but felt more comfortable about the support I would get from Precision Matthews.

I ordered a PM-1236-PEP this morning.

Now, I just have the wait until June or July to get it and get the spot in the garage ready for it. I have to reorganize a little and run the electrical for a dedicated circuit.

It will be my first metal lathe.

That's not a bad wait time at all. You'll be happy with that choice. PM is an excellent choice, and that machine is quite capable.

Hit eBay and try and score a decent machinist level. Something like a Starrett 98. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284283195509

The hyper sensitive .0002" per 10 levels are neat and can give great results, but only if you dont have high blood pressure, and aren't prone to getting ****** and throwing things.

If your not already familiar with the levelling process, there are some good videos on YouTube.

That's not a bad wait time at all. You'll be happy with that choice. PM is an excellent choice, and that machine is quite capable.

Hit eBay and try and score a decent machinist level. Something like a Starrett 98. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284283195509

The hyper sensitive .0002" per 10 levels are neat and can give great results, but only if you dont have high blood pressure, and aren't prone to getting ****** and throwing things.

If your not already familiar with the levelling process, there are some good videos on YouTube.

I already have a starrett level like that one, starrett 6” calipers, starrett OD micrometers, and starrett depth mics. My uncle was a diesel mechanic and gave them to me about 40 years ago.

If you think of anything else I may need, please let me know.

I already have a starrett level like that one, starrett 6” calipers, starrett OD micrometers, and starrett depth mics. My uncle was a diesel mechanic and gave them to me about 40 years ago.

Levelling feet are nice to have. PM can provide you some, or you can get your own. I used Te-co 44452 on my 1340 Birmingham. I'm about 6,1 and these got the height perfect for me.

Also, your PM will probably come with a 4 way toolpost.

A BXA size wedge quick change toolpost is one of the first and best upgrades you can make. Get plenty of holders too.

Or you could even try one of the import multifix knockoffs. Now that there are affordable versions on the market, they're becoming more and more popular.

Here's mine rebuilt import version, with a lever in place of the nut.

Also, your PM will probably come with a 4 way toolpost.

A BXA size wedge quick change toolpost is one of the first and best upgrades you can make. Get plenty of holders too.

Or you could even try one of the import multifix knockoffs. Now that there are affordable versions on the market, they're becoming more and more popular.

Here's mine rebuilt import version, with a lever in place of the nut.

I ordered the PEP (preferred lathe package), so it comes with a QCTP (BXA/200) with 5 holders, a micrometer carriage stop, a clutch on the feed rod, foot brake, and a coolant system.

I also ordered some coolant, a BXA turning/boring tool set, and an internal/external threading tool set.

I skipped the leveling pads. I’m hoping to just shim the cabinet. I’m 5’ 5” tall, so would like it shorter LOL.

Thanks for the link. It gives me a good source in case I end up needing the feet/leveling pads

You must be new here, be careful what you ask for.

Congratulations on your purchase. Now comes the hard part, waiting.

Back