Smithy parts drying up

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Ao I put a email into smithy looking for parts for my Midas 1220 XL
Sadly only a few of the parts I really need are available.
Looks like im going to have to learn to make Acme threads and get some chunks of bronze.

Yeah you probably wouldn't want to pay Smithy prices anyway so time to DIY
It’s a bit of a wash I priced out a few chunks of bronze couple chunks of high-speed steel to try to grind internal tool. God knows how long it’ll take me to actually get it done.

I know what you mean- getting materials is more expensive than ever

McMaster is a good source for ACME Screws and Nuts.

I did not find much of anything useful over at McMaster. Their prices were more than buying the correct, not from Smithy. Well, at least the one that they have in stock still.

Any chance that there is some crossover use with Grizzly stuff? I’ve seen 3 in 1’s from Grizzly that have to be made in the same factory as my Smithy. And, from what I’ve read lately, the customer service at Grizzly is way better than the current iteration of Smithy.

It’s a bit of a wash I priced out a few chunks of bronze couple chunks of high-speed steel to try to grind internal tool. God knows how long it’ll take me to actually get it done.
Rather than grind on high-speed steel, get some tool steel O-1 or A-2, shape it by sawing, milling or whatever and then harden it.

Also, I periodically see these machines on craigslist or facebook and you could get a "parts car"

What acme shaft and nut are you looking for? My bench lathe is similar to yours . When I made the crossfeed shaft my Clausing I had ordered extra in case in messed up . I used the extra 5/8- 10LH to change the bench top crossfeed from metric to Imperial. Extended the travel by adding an extension to the front and extra length so it would be easier to cut from the backside in reverse if needed . It was the first time I tried an internal thread for the nut . Also had to make a new handwheel in inches. Picture shows the old handwheel

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 11
Back