Smithy parts drying up

I’m surprised no one on this forum offers these services. Seems like somebody could make some decent side money making wearable parts, especially for these machines.
Pretty tough to make money machining parts for machinists! Small quantities, companies long gone out of business, poor documentation (reverse engineering everything) and many people get into fixing old machines be it is cool and fun. As you get better at fixing and making stuff you can get a great machine for 1 to 10 cents on the dollar (even for free). The hundreds of hours fixing said great machine doesn’t count in the cost because it is either recreation or entertainment.

That’s a helpful response, not. How could they not have diagrams and specs on the parts f9r machines they sell! Quite a business model.
Especially when they cant supply parts anymore.
Pretty tough to make money machining parts for machinists! Small quantities, companies long gone out of business, poor documentation (reverse engineering everything) and many people get into fixing old machines be it is cool and fun. As you get better at fixing and making stuff you can get a great machine for 1 to 10 cents on the dollar (even for free). The hundreds of hours fixing said great machine doesn’t count in the cost because it is either recreation or entertainment.
right basically some one has to really enjoy helping others fix their lathes.
I will eventually get there.
Of course even though smithy been making these machines since the 80s they are still entry level machines put together which ever way the factory can slap together.

And even more fun

NOTICE: This Midas model is not currently available.

Unfortunately, the factory that has built our Midas 1220/1230

machines for nearly 40 years did not survive the pandemic. So far,

we have been unsuccessful in finding a factory that will build these

machines for us. We will continue to search for a factory that can

build this model for us, and will keep you posted on this situation.

I need both cross feed snd lead screw nut
#14 is a 2 piece nut for cross slide
View attachment 477207
#23 is just half a nut the pushed against the scree and into the plate
#22- the plate I think I can flip around short term.
View attachment 477208

I came across your post while searching for these exact parts for my 1220 LTD. Last I talked to Smithy the cross nut shown #14 in the diagram is in stock under part number C34003. The only part I'm missing is shown #23, the half nut for lead screw engagement, Smithy provided the part number C36041. This part is obviously unavailable, they also suggested I build one and couldn't provide a drawing. If nothing they are consistent with their poor excuse for lack of available dimensions.

My plan is to build one with my Smith as is. My cross nut has some life left to is so I tightened up the adjustment and started shopping for tooling. I figured with a 4 jaw chuck and a 3/4"-10 Acme tap, plus materials I could make one. Have you thought of giving it a go?

I came across your post while searching for these exact parts for my 1220 LTD. Last I talked to Smithy the cross nut shown #14 in the diagram is in stock under part number C34003. The only part I'm missing is shown #23, the half nut for lead screw engagement, Smithy provided the part number C36041. This part is obviously unavailable, they also suggested I build one and couldn't provide a drawing. If nothing they are consistent with their poor excuse for lack of available dimensions.

My plan is to build one with my Smith as is. My cross nut has some life left to is so I tightened up the adjustment and started shopping for tooling. I figured with a 4 jaw chuck and a 3/4"-10 Acme tap, plus materials I could make one. Have you thought of giving it a go?
I will at some point. There are no tap and dies I know of available.
Only thing “inch” on these screws is thread count.
I do plan on trying the “plastic” form a thread method at some point.

Ao I put a email into smithy looking for parts for my Midas 1220 XL
Sadly only a few of the parts I really need are available.
Looks like im going to have to learn to make Acme threads and get some chunks of bronze.
If you are looking to make the acme nuts for the lead screws, the taps are expensive but a really good quality tap is a good investment. I bought one for a 2 axis table I have and it solves a number of issues.

I did not find much of anything useful over at McMaster. Their prices were more than buying the correct, not from Smithy. Well, at least the one that they have in stock still.
PM me with the size of the chunk of brass you are looking for and I may be able to help you acquire it, at the very least I can check..

I will at some point. There are no tap and dies I know of available.
Only thing “inch” on these screws is thread count.
I do plan on trying the “plastic” form a thread method at some point.
I rewatched your video and i noticed the assembly on the end of your lead-screw is totally different. You may have a newer machine than mine. My lead screw measured just a few thousandths over 3/4”, so I plan on using a 3/4”-10 Acme trapezoidal thread tap. I don’t see why this wouldn't work at all. I’ll bore a hole in the work piece, tap it, then mill off half the nut that I don’t need. What diameter is your lead screw?

I rewatched your video and i noticed the assembly on the end of your lead-screw is totally different. You may have a newer machine than mine. My lead screw measured just a few thousandths over 3/4”, so I plan on using a 3/4”-10 Acme trapezoidal thread tap. I don’t see why this wouldn't work at all. I’ll bore a hole in the work piece, tap it, then mill off half the nut that I don’t need. What diameter is your lead screw?
.788” crossline .625 pretty much 20 mm and 16 mm

Back