So Far 2018, Sucks, I Seriously Hope It Gets Better

Yes... please be careful with combustion heaters that are not vented...
CO (carbon monoxide) is seriously dangerous...

As noted above... the first noticeable symptoms are feeling sluggish and drowsy...
If you sleep with too high a concentration... you may not wake up... :(
Not meaning to throw out scare tactics...
However I run a heating and AC company, and an certified in CO inspection.

Please be careful... and IMO just pay the $$$ and get a new furnace.

If you need some advise on what/when/where...
Here is a forum with an open area:
HVAC-Talk.com...
Look for the AOP (ask our professionals) area and post your situation...

Yes, I have a couple of CO monitors. I’m an industrial boiler service tech for over 40 yrs, I normally work on much bigger stuff, the guy who is going to replace the furnace, is scheduled to be here at 9 am, tomorrow morning.

Fortunately you were there to deal with it quickly and minimize damage. Hopefully the rest of 2018 will be good to you.

Mr Buffalo I can understand why you feel that 2018 got off to such a bad start but Take a look from a different perspective......Accidents happen and things will always break but think how bad it could have been had you not been there to put the fire out so quickly or even worse you and family fast asleep in bed!
I think that old saying "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" fits this situation perfectly. I hope your year is Great and only gets better.

Last edited:
Very glad you are okay! That could have been so much worse........

-brino

Not such a bad start to the new year, no ones hurt and you have a whole year to recoup your loss of a bad heater, if you had funerals to go to that would have been a bad start, you sir are blessed. Hope your luck holds for the rest of 2018

Important Note on CO2 monitors.
*** The incident described here happened 7 years ago. The CO2 sensors were the same 5 years ago (the technology could have changed since but not to my knowledge). ***

CO2 monitors DO NOT WORK reliably after they have been exposed to temperatures below 32 degrees. It does not matter that they have been warmed up again. (how do you know they have not been exposed to low temps in shipping?)

We found this out at a ski area I worked at after having to send an employee by helicopter to an oxygen therapy tank for 2 days. Then therapy for 2 more months. We found him right next to a CO2 monitor in a propane heated lift shack. Thank God he eventually recovered with no apparent brain damage.
I did a lot of research after that and this is what I found after talking with several manufactures, engineers, OSHA, etc.

I am not going to respond/argue with anyone disputing this. I did enough research (not google type), talked to enough experts that I am satisfied this is true. If you don't agree, well I hope you don't bet anyone's life on your decision.
I almost lost someone by believing sales pitches saying they work after warming up.

Last edited:
*** The incident described here happened 7 years ago. The CO2 sensors were the same 5 years ago (the technology could have changed since but not to my knowledge). ***

CO2 monitors DO NOT WORK reliably after they have been exposed to temperatures below 32 degrees. It does not matter that they have been warmed up again. (how do you know they have not been exposed to low temps in shipping?)

We found this out at a ski area I worked at after having to send an employee by helicopter to an oxygen therapy tank for 2 days. Then therapy for 2 more months. We found him right next to a CO2 monitor in a propane heated lift shack. Thank God he eventually recovered with no apparent brain damage.
I did a lot of research after that and this is what I found after talking with several manufactures, engineers, OSHA, etc.

I am not going to respond/argue with anyone disputing this. I did enough research (not google type), talked to enough experts that I am satisfied this is true. If you don't agree, well I hope you bet anyone's life on your decision.
I almost lost someone by believing sales pitches saying they work after warming up.
Excellent information to know.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

I am not going to respond/argue with anyone disputing this. I did enough research (not google type), talked to enough experts that I am satisfied this is true. If you don't agree, well I hope you don't bet anyone's life on your decision.
What type of CO monitor was it? There are four different technologies used.

RJ, I don't remember the technology but at that time is was all that was available for us to use in an un-powered location.

I stated that I do not want to respond or discuss this here. Please understand that we spent several months not knowing if our employee and friend was going to suffer brain damage. Meanwhile I was required to spent untold hours explaining and discussing this problem. It took a toll on me and I do not intend to do it again. I had to satisify not only the concerned public, but The National Ski Patrol, National Forest Service, National Ski Areas Association, our insurance company, the ski area owners, etc. I know what I found. All of those concerned insisted that CO2 could be monitored until they did their own in-depth research. Eventually, we jointly decided that there was not a reliable way to monitor CO2 in a below zero (or having been in a below zero), non-electrified situation. All those professionally involved (and there were many involved) agreed that we should remove our CO2 monitors because they gave a false sense of security in our situation.

Also, I DO have CO2 monitors in my house.
What I experienced (to my knowledge) only applies to low temperature applications. It is listed in the operation parameters of your monitor's specifications. The specifications just forgets to tell you that cold temperatures can cause permanent loss of sensitivity.

Back