So I am Looking at this Table.... And it's NOT

Odd that "Kamakura machine tools" search brings no results, is the op sure that this is not a knock off of the well known Japaneese CNC manufacturer Nakamura?

All great ideas. I am getting the feeling that the vertical position use is s stated "occasional" and the concept of the angle plate may be even a better solutio because it can be used for other purposes. Thanks as always!

I came across a 12” Bridgeport rotary table, and later added a matching angle bracket. Matching because the bracket is not a single vertical plane surface, but has bossed holes lining up with the rotary table. I’ve used the table a number of times, never the bracket. What I learned is that 12” is none too big for real work...mounting the part solidly can take up a huge amount of room. So buy the biggest rotary table you can afford. The only downside is that it’s HEAVY!

There are inexpensive shop made versions of RTs. You don't need to buy one.
Really depends on your needs, time, application, ability to make parts to desired tolerance, and of course what is left in your wallet at the end of the month.

Daryl
MN

Odd that "Kamakura machine tools" search brings no results, is the op sure that this is not a knock off of the well known Japaneese CNC manufacturer Nakamura?

Definitely not a knock off. Kamakura rotary tables are known to be high quality. They could have eventually been absorbed into what is Yuasa International today. Kamakura & another Japanese rotary table manufacturer used to make rotary tables labeled NEWS. From what I understand NEWS became Yuasa. Not for sure what happened to Kamakura, just speculating.

There are inexpensive shop made versions of RTs. You don't need to buy one.
Really depends on your needs, time, application, ability to make parts to desired tolerance, and of course what is left in your wallet at the end of the month.

Daryl
MN

Whenever I start a project one of the first parts of the process is a financial analysis. If it's less expensive to purchase a needed tool that's generally the course I take. There's always plenty to do outside the shop, so I don't often build something "just because I can".

I'm currently in the process of building this sheet metal brake:

I find I could use one on an almost weekly basis, and the cost of a quality one is beyond what I am willing to spend. In this case I have used the original plans as a guide, but increased the width to 36" rather than the original 24" in the drawings. Like most other things I have done a bit of customization using some materials on hand.

When all is said and done I expect the cost to be in the $250.00 range for materials. Fortunately I didn't need to make or purchase any additional tools for the job, but I did have to make a number of fixtures. Between making the fixtures and the sheet metal brake itself I expect I will have 80 to 100 hours in the project. Since it's been a cold and snowy winter there's been enough time available. If things go according to plan I should finish in the next week or so. The project is wrapping up in a timely manner. Now that spring is coming time in the shop will be more limited as there will be more than enough to do outside.

View attachment 235707

Well, compared to the first pic, i have to say that it is looking a tad better! I need to go to O'Reilly's tomorrow and pick up some Evapo-rust.
Evapo-rust is a reliable product, it says so... For a surprise and no chemical vs skin issues try any [but especially orange or cherry] citric hand cleaner pastes with pumice [mild abrasive, Moh's 6]. Dry oil, surface rust and usual subjects go away neatly. I won't say it's fast but quick enough. Use cheap versions of kitchen sponges, non-woven scrubbers, and toothbrushes. Also, you can belt sand or grind bristles to shorten [stiffen] them. An entire mill can be done some thing; oil, goo, coolants and sound paint remains.

Definitely not a knock off. Kamakura rotary tables are known to be high quality. They could have eventually been absorbed into what is Yuasa International today. Kamakura & another Japanese rotary table manufacturer used to make rotary tables labeled NEWS. From what I understand NEWS became Yuasa. Not for sure what happened to Kamakura, just speculating.
Yes, News merged into Yuasa, latter being the parent. There is tooling around called News-Yuasa reflecting the overlap sequence. Wonderful tooling, to be sure. Another great Japanese iron producer, unseen of late, Eron; vises, angle plates, mag-chucks, unique nesting parallels, every bit satisfactory as Yuasa, News, Lyndex-Nikken, Big-Daishowa, Showa, Tajima. Having bought personal tooling I use at jobs nearly 50 years, never regretted a dime on Japanese tools. We should be proud they allowed us mentor, and follow our lead.
It'll be decades before remaining Asia can m-a-t-c-h domestic Japanese tools. Not sure they'll bother.

Back