So, I bought a BP..

Congrats on the new mill. Sounds like a good find.
Don’t forget we want to see it too!

I will add pics to the thread. I just need to get it moved. I think I have everything arranged, so I'm expecting to need to go to the store at least twice. :)

I also discovered that my bandsaw pulleys for the motor and worm gear are really wobbly. Guess I need to figure out what's going on there. It is second hand Harbor Freight, so it happens...

I know your excited about getting a new tool, just don’t get in a hurry while moving it. Work SAFE!!
Also, take several small pieces of wood of different thicknesses to use if you have to block it up to get rollers under it.
1/2” plywood, 1x?, 2x4, etc

Thanks for the reminder. Slow and safe is the only way to move something like this. Can't use tools if you are recovering from injuries after all. :)

Reactions: Z2V
When are you planning to make the move?

When are you planning to make the move?

Today. I have most of the stuff loaded up and am picking up the rest soon along with the trailer.

I haven't unloaded yet, or gotten pics. It came with some extras. A small set of collets, the ones I inspected have a Bridgeport logo on them. An adapter, looks like MT2. A clamping kit. And a good size vise 6" I think, made in Japan, labeled "KKK" of all things. It's got a bit of surface rust, so condition is unknown at the moment. The machine itself has visible scraping on the ways in a couple areas I cleaned up.

I think I'm going to order some fresh belts and do some cleaning and such.

A couple pics. The machine made it to my garage. Now I have to get it cleaned, lubed, and assembled. :)

The adapter is R8-MT3, which is handy as it means that I can use my nice Glacern drill chuck with it.

The missing knobs etc are there, we removed a few when it looked like they might be smashed.

The vise moves very smoothly. I didn't move it much as there's a good layer of crud on the surfaces. But it's not rusted into a single piece, so there's hope for it.

20180429_172434.jpg20180429_172423.jpg

I think you will have a jewel there after you get her cleaned and set up. Congrats

Looking inside the belt windows, there is a lot of crud in there. In addition, the belts are around 10 years old, so I will replace them while I'm in there. Everything feels smooth, should I tear it down further? Any other parts I should look at replacing or inspecting in the head?

The motor looks good, not that it means much. I figure I'll remove it, clean and inspect for bearing issues etc.. Then use my VFD to fire it up for some short tests to make sure it's running well and quietly.

Pulleys look ok from the outside, but if I'm opening it up, might as well check them closely.

Any reason to get into the spindle and back gears at this point?

I also see that the power feed direction knob is broken off. Sounds like a pretty common part to break. Same with the missing fine feed handwheel. I'm not too worried about them right now. It looks like they aren't too bad to work on with the machine assembled.

Back