So I Was Driving Home And Noticed A 2ml Following Me

Got some time to rip into the mill over the last couple of days. The new transformer is in and working beautifully. I also pulled the gear selector panel off the side to start looking for the clunking sound. I am 90% certain I found it.

A look inside the mill with the selector panel off
20161025_165112_zpsujrfxmue.jpg

The back of the selector panel. Notice the glob of brass on the lower right fork.

20161025_165048_zpsxkruhvyh.jpg

A couple of terrible closer pics

20161025_165100_zpsw1c1q5pd.jpg

20161025_165055_zpsccsqrp1g.jpg

Another terrible pic of after I beat down some of the lumps and contoured the brass a bit. Depending on how hard my OCD kicks in I may do more file work on it.

20161025_171348_zpsdjsinkst.jpg

The picture doesn't show it well but I knocked down some big lumps of brass on the side of the fork. I suspect this is where my noise was coming from.

I did run the mill with the side off for a couple of minutes just to make sure I wasn't getting noise from somewhere else.

While talking to a friend and showing him the pictures, he mentioned that the repaired fork looks a little out of whack.

It didn't stand out to me while I was working on it so I'm not sure if it's bad perspective on the pic or an actual problem.

I will take a closer look tonight before I put it back together. If it is hanging out a bit I may just grind it down a bit, depending on how much rather than trying to rebraze it, depending on the possible extent.

It does look like it's brazed crooked not much but a little just enough to make the clanking you hear. You may just square up the one edge, it looks tilted to left.

My question is how you align all those shift forks to get the thing back together?

-brino

It does look like it's brazed crooked not much but a little just enough to make the clanking you hear. You may just square up the one edge, it looks tilted to left.

I EVER SO lightly took the edge off with a grinding pad. The clunking is now gone.

My question is how you align all those shift forks to get the thing back together?

-brino

I blame you for jinxing me. Six hours later, I finally got it back in.

I EVER SO lightly took the edge off with a grinding pad. The clunking is now gone.

Excellent, well done!

I blame you for jinxing me. Six hours later, I finally got it back in.

Okay, okay, I'll take the blame, I have big enough shoulders! :black eye:

It just looked very finicky, and really who could resist either playing with the levers to see how it all worked, or accidentally bumping one during removal/insertion and not realizing exactly which one was out of position.

I am glad you got it back together!

-brino

If you ever take her down again you may want to move all the levers to one side . That may help on the reinstall. Just thinking. Glad she works so well. Run her awhile then after a few hours of running I'd change her oil while she's hot. The oil flows better when hot. Just to get any loosened crud or crap still inside. Never hurts when they've been neglected or stored.

It just looked very finicky, and really who could resist either playing with the levers to see how it all worked, or accidentally bumping one during removal/insertion and not realizing exactly which one was out of position.
The PITA part was the gears inside would move if you breathed too heavily on them.

If you ever take her down again you may want to move all the levers to one side .
Let me assure you, that panel is never coming off again.

Run her awhile then after a few hours of running I'd change her oil while she's hot. The oil flows better when hot. Just to get any loosened crud or crap still inside. Never hurts when they've been neglected or stored.

That was my plan!

Well, she's been running well for a few years now.

Unfortunately I have run into an issue with the controls. When the start button is pushed the motor will start, run for a few seconds and turn back off. This running period has been getting shorter and shorter.

It is a momentary button push start system with the start button being NO and the stop button being NC.

I *believe* the cause may be a failing relay (M on the diagram)
imc7e_52-1.jpg
but I have no idea where this little gem is located.

The control circuit is 120v and the power is 220v 3ph.
PXL_20210705_183834309.jpg
PXL_20210705_183233815.NIGHT.jpg

I know the orange wires go to the start/stop switches. The red/white/black are line 1,2,3.

I am willing and able to provide any additional information as requested.

Back