So who thinks they will be driving electric in 10 years?

In Wisconsin you have to go for an emmisions inspection every other year, at that time they record the mileage. So they are already tracking my miles driven. granted not all of it is in WI, and they are not yet thinking of a mileage tax. but they already have the data stream if they ever decide to do it. Right now they have the gas tax, the license fee, and the registration fees, and a wheel tax based on how many axels you have. (So a motor cycle pays the same as 2 axel box truck.) I think one is harder on the roads than the other. All of these taxes and any other that only apply to electric must all be used in the calculations of cost per mile. What the government does with the money is totally irrelevant and is fodder for a different discussion which will probably get shut down as to political.

Yes, the technology exists. It's the implementation that poses a problem.
Big trucks traveling the interstate highways have to either have an automated system that transmits the data to the weigh stations or they have to pull in and be inspected. They can hardly handle the semi truck traffic, so I think requiring every vehicle to pull in isn't going to work out well.
Adding a module to the vehicles computer with either a WiFi or Bluetooth transmitter could work, but would require installing the receiving antennas along just about every roadway.
And then how do you monitor for people who figure out how to bypass the transmitter or reprogram it to report a false mileage. I already see people who have made their own open source ECM computers using open source electronic modules. They do it to get better performance from their engines and avoid the way overpriced OEM computers.
I'd think doing this for an electric vehicle would be way easier than for an ICE. No doubt many people wouldn't bother and just pay the tax, but the government will make sure they get their money whether it's from all the people or just the ones that don't figure out ways to not pay.
It won't take long before the same problem arises that hit the fuel tax. Raise the tax and people get more fuel efficient cars and/or drive less resulting in less money. Government answer....raise the tax.
Same would go for electric vehicle tax. More people bypassing the system, fewer dollars coming in, raise the tax, an endless cycle.
The best idea I could think of would be to get rid of the fuel usage based tax and replace it with an "Infrastructure" tax that could be paid for by everyone as well as companies/businesses. Not only would it result in a less cyclic tax stream, but would be harder for the government to manipulate holding them more accountable for where and how they spend the money.

The new weigh station bypass systems, and the older fuel tax systems are totally different. Almost all new cars can be tracked by the manufacturer, the system is already built in. Look what Tesla did back in 2017. So the range was already built in, just a different software program for the shorter range cars. Heck, even my CPAP calls the VA everyday, and reports on my usage. Not only big brother, but everyone else is watching our every move.

The best thing would be to get rid of all these user based taxes, and their costly collecting/ reporting infrastructure, and replace it with one simple straight tax. But I know all the levels of government, and NGO's will not give up their control.

Almost all new cars can be tracked by the manufacturer, the system is already built in. Look what Tesla did back in 2017. So the range was already built in, just a different software program for the shorter range cars. Heck, even my CPAP calls the VA everyday, and reports on my usage. Not only big brother, but everyone else is watching our every move.

......and people are okay with that !!! The law has a term for that.....STALKING. It seems it's okay for government and corporations to do, whereas you or I would go to jail. Funny how entities seem to have more rights than people these days.

Okay, enough of the "Off Subject" discussion.
The Tesla example you quoted, I think they probably disabled a feature designed to prevent over draining the batteries. Doing that on a regular basis greatly reduces the life span of batteries, they don't like it. Makes me wonder if those people inadvertently just voided their battery warranty ?

They've made great strides in electric vehicles over the last decade, but the Achilles Heel still remains, the battery. Between the relatively short life span, high cost, and slow charge rate, I think it would take another major breakthrough for most people to accept them as an only option. The max range battery of even the Tesla's falls way short of the range of most gas vehicles these days. A gas or diesel vehicle can completely refuel in well under 10 minutes. A 10 minute charge on an electric vehicle, even with Fast Charge, isn't going to fully charge a drained battery.
I've always figured it would take advancements in super capacitors before people would fully embrace electric vehicles. Longer life span, cheaper to make, can be drained to nothing without harm, and can easily handle both fast charge and discharge rates. They just don't have near enough energy density to make them a viable option currently.

Guess I need to amend my previous statement since hydrogen is really nothing more than a battery for storing energy and it's cheap, clean, and renewable. But it also needs development before it can be a truly viable option.
That said, this is where my "Tin Foil Hat" goes back on. I don't believe Big Oil and their $$$ will allow any advances in hydrogen use as fuel to go mainstream. Even if developed, they will quietly buy up the technology and bury it unless they could completely control it.

......and people are okay with that !!! The law has a term for that.....STALKING. It seems it's okay for government and corporations to do, whereas you or I would go to jail. Funny how entities seem to have more rights than people these days.
It amazes me how much people have invited the government, and corporations into their private lives. 60 years ago, their would have been protesting everywhere, now it "What else can I get to let you spy on my life", And "Where else can i go on the web, and post every aspect of my daily life?".

Yes, I will be... as I already am. :D

Is it as well finished as my old diesel XF? No. Is it better specd, equipment wise? Yes. Is it cheaper to run? Hell yes. The Jag cost £80 on average to fill up, and that got me about 400-450 miles. The Kona has a quoted range of 300, and with careful driving the real world average is around 280. Im getting 250. A “fill up” from empty of the 64Kwh battery from empty would cost me £8 on my current electricity tarif. So for the same amount of money as a tank of derv I get 10 times the miles.

Yes, I’m aware that it’s not all in one lump - but the simple fact is I don’t need it be. Oh - and here in the UK, no road tax for EVs.

Loving it so far.

Honestly I believe within the next 10 years there will be many more self-driving electric transporter vehicles everywhere but the tendency to OWN your own car will diminish to the point where only diehards and Hobbyist drive cars anymore! The Trend will be mass shared transportation with riders to anywhere at anytime with very accessible rates. You can see it already happening in these Millenials, its hard to find a 16yr old EAGERLY WAITING for his license anymore, it's crazy but it's happening!

Well I think the automotive world is gonna go through some big changes in the next 10-20 yrs. I think that has driven cars will be the minority. I don't think gas will go away but will be at a premium so die yards like myself can still drive their classic cars. It should be interesting in the next couple years when the truck market will see a flood of new ev trucks. Will they perform like the petro workhorses of today. From what I've read it's still unproven a 400mile range might be greatly reduced when hauling loads and towing. I'll be watching
The wife and I have taken the plung into a EV car. We purchased a 2019 Chevy bolt last Saturday for the wife. Traded in her 05 Mini CooperS which was a great little go kart. We had been talking of it for acouple weeks now and with the end of year sales and "black Friday deals" they knocked nearly 15k off the sticker price, and I weaseled a 240v32a charger into the deal. Federal rebates end March of 2020 to so I wanted to get some of that. Since the purchased my wife has come home everyday with nothing but enjoyment and good things to say about the vehicle. As for worries of the battery I read the government mandated a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty which that's what the car has on battery and drivetrain. If at lower than 60-70% battery life at time the warranty ends I was told GM would replace the battery. Idk obviously but if so thats a pretty good deal in my book. Will see what happens in time but I feel good about doing it. We still have other cars but this will be daily commuter.

It's possible, but I still think EV owners of today will wake up in the not-so-distant future to a world where their vehicles are made obsolete. No trade-in or retail value, defunct warranties, and little choice but to keep driving them until dead or scrap them.

As for mass shared transport instead of ownership, it's possible. I see that trend now in large cities, but rural transport would be a whole different story. I also think a lot of the trend towards not owning a vehicle is the cost vs benefit for a lot of young people. When you consider purchase cost, insurance, maintenance, fuel....many don't have the income with the ever increasing cost of living and ever reducing income and benefits.
I predicted many years ago that the continued trend of shipping manufacturing and jobs out of the country along with increased automation would drop the income and standard of living for most Americans down to the point no-one was buying their crap anymore.
That prediction is slowly becoming reality.

It's possible, but I still think EV owners of today will wake up in the not-so-distant future to a world where their vehicles are made obsolete. No trade-in or retail value, defunct warranties, and little choice but to keep driving them until dead or scrap them.

As for mass shared transport instead of ownership, it's possible. I see that trend now in large cities, but rural transport would be a whole different story. I also think a lot of the trend towards not owning a vehicle is the cost vs benefit for a lot of young people. When you consider purchase cost, insurance, maintenance, fuel....many don't have the income with the ever increasing cost of living and ever reducing income and benefits.
I predicted many years ago that the continued trend of shipping manufacturing and jobs out of the country along with increased automation would drop the income and standard of living for most Americans down to the point no-one was buying their crap anymore.
That prediction is slowly becoming reality.

Idk about these statements take a look a used tesla's on average their about 5k less than off the showroom floor. That's a pretty good resale in my book and it's not just tesla look around they hold a good value. As far as warranties with the researched I did it seemed they more catered to the consumer. They want the transition to electric to be trouble free and not scare away the consumer.
Ride share, uber and lyft have made a difference in how people move around the city. They have their market but like you said they don't do much in rural areas. Jobs and income are out there it's more of a problem finding qualified people to do the jobs. Yeah there's butt loads of minimum wage jobs too. Problem is young kids these days don't wanna put down the game remote and take of their comfy pants and slippers and go get them minimum wage jobs because mommy and daddy pay for everything. The youth need to be hungry not comfy and so dependent as they are. I have 11 nieces and nephews range from 8-22. 5 of them above 16 all have cars or have to share with siblings and not one of them paid for the car or the fees that go with it maybe gas but then moms giving money to go out. When I was 16 I had saved the money prior to from the jobs I had from the age of 12, and worked nearly everyday after school to afford the things I needed to do so. Ah getting way to off track here. It's a different world for sure but the jobs are still here just not the same as what my grandfather did.

Back