Solder iron recommendations

My main soldering station is the Weller TCP as well.

David

I'm still using my original Weller 250 watt gun after 50 years. Wouldn't have anything else.

For the bench, a Weller WES51 has served me well for many years.

After using a temperature-regulated iron, I don't think I could ever go back to using a "dumb" iron. They warm-up much faster and also supply the correct amount of heat when you need it. I've done a lot of RC stuff in the past with those thick battery wires and it's so much easy to solder when the iron actively maintains it's temperature instead of cooling down when you touch the wire/connector.

The Weller WESD51 is my go to iron on my electronics bench. I have an Weller W-TCP for the shop and also a small hand held propane torch for larger items. Weller is hard to beat but I will say that I have heard good things about Hakko brand of irons. I might even try one if my Weller ever breaks but given that they are 20+ years old, it might not be in this lifetime.

I've done a schload of soldering for RC applications. From micro wiring to 8 AWG leads, connectors, plugs.... For small wiring you cant beat the typical digital temperature controlled 40-60watt range soldering stations. When the iron tip is momentarily cooled as it sees the part or introduction of solder, it self compensates with increased heat input so that the tip temperature is modulated.

But when you get into bigger wire gages, solder tabs, things of that nature - new soldering considerations enter the picture. You cant just compare 40 watts iron A to 40 watts iron B. Now the tip mass is acting as a heat reservoir. A teeny tip does not have the mass or the contact area to spread heat quick enough. Or if it does, it takes so long that heat is now flowing down to other areas where you don't necessarily want it to. High heat + short duration is better. I've used a Weller 40 watt 1/4" tip el-cheapo Home Depot special for years. Its perfectly capable of all the wiring/connectors you will see up to say 8 gauge. Before lipo batteries were the rage, we commonly made our own stick packs from NiCD or NiMH cells joined end to end using a 'hammerhead' tip machined from .5" dia copper.

I've included 2 pics, both 40 watt irons. You want the one with fatter (1/4" tip). And this illustrates why wattage alone is not the only parameter. I had a heat regulated version of this, 60 watt weller. Once your solder technique is good, you don't see as much advantage in these applications. Some guys will opt for an 80 watt big brother (3/8") tip.

3-23-2018 0000.jpg

3-23-2018 0001.jpg

I have 2 grounded tip irons I picked up at a flee market that the name was wore off. One chisel tip the other fine point. Best irons I have used.

I have a couple of Hakko units for small electronics and my wife has a larger one she uses for stained glass.

Weller Wes51 is what I use, with no complaints.

It's not a Metcal, but the tips are $5 at Fry's and it's fine for what I do, pcbs and wiring.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back