Soldering Iron Tips for Heat-Set Threaded Inserts

Nubbles

Registered
Registered
I picked up a Sherline 4400 C package in March and just recently got to finishing my first few projects. I've been on machinist YouTube for a couple years, so it was great fun to start making chips myself!
PXL_20230405_120708786.jpg

These are soldering iron tips for installing threaded inserts into 3D prints. The sizes are for the M5, M4, and M3 inserts I have, and I made them in that order. I measured my iron and existing tips and modeled the M5 version in Fusion 360. I used that design as base dimensions but ended up adjusting the dimensions by test fitting everything as I went.
M5 Heat Set Soldering Tip.png

I started out practicing in aluminum, which was good because I needed about three practice pieces before I ended up with something that was even approximately correct (the top one). The funny shape came from accidentally feeding the back of a tool in my two-position toolpost into the tip as I was trying to cut with the main tool.
PXL_20230502_034345200.jpg

I struggled with how to cut both of the shoulders around the widest middle part. I got the M5 and M4 ones done in mildly sketchy ways that barely worked. The M3 being thinner on the end caused me trouble ending in a scare, the bent one. It got loose in the chuck and was thrown out! Thank goodness I was wearing eye protection.
PXL_20230430_200035261.jpg

I planned out the final try at the M3 better than before and got it done I ended up using the below setup where I kept one end long with a thicker part to support the live center. Didn't end up perfect but certainly good enough for use in a soldering iron.
PXL_20230502_022618301.jpg
Snapchat-2055853267.jpg

It's really incredible how much I learned making these parts. Excited to continue the journey!

Back