Soldering magnifying glass

You can also use a toaster oven to reflow solder the entire board at once instead of one component at a time. I started doing this several years ago and it has been (mostly) trouble free. Took me a little while to dial in the temp profile but now it's easy peasy. For smaller boards, I can reflow 4 or 5 at a time in my toaster oven. The board shop I use would include a metal solder stencil at no extra charge. so it is pretty easy to be able to squeegee on solder paste and then put the SMD components in place with a tweezer or one of those little pencil size vacuum manipulators. I use the hot air workstation for repairs.
A toaster oven is good. If there's only a few components, hot air is quick and easy. A denser board with more stuff on it, an oven is far better. As you say, hot air is great for repairs.

Back in the day did not need help for ht and pager work but not so much anymore.

We get new glasses every year so we will get "occupational" glasses.

That is the term to use.

You get seated at your bench and place your work as you would, ad get seated as you would.

Now measure distance from crown of nose to work and make a note.

When you get your eyes tested and they place the reading card on the rail ask about occupational glasses and tell them to place the card at your measured distance.

First they tune in the lenses.

Next, dial in the zoom.

Single vision or bifocals, a bifocal can be set for test equipment on the bench shelf on top and close work on bottom.

We make a pair specific to each bench, the electronics bench is optimized for the screens above, we borrow the clock bench ones for close up work.

Clock bench were made for working on Atmos, works great.

The down side is the depth of field is reduced as zoom is increased but it makes life much easier than optivisors.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have a lighted 10x on an arm and a headset lighted magnifier.

Both work well for soldering, with the “nod” going to the headset magnifier for freedom of movement and not have to worry about clearance under the desk mounted 10x.

Its often a bit of a challenge to fit the soldering iron under the 10x without interference, hence preference for headset if doing more than a quick touchup or quick component replacement..

squinting-meme.jpg-.jpg

Some system that gives you stereo vision is best, whether it's a stereomicroscope (which I use) or something you wear on your head. I tried using a USB monocular system and it was more frustrating than helpful.

There are several versions of optics for working with small devices. I don't do surface mount devices, my hands aren't steady enough. But I do do 1/10 inch through hole work. The most widely known is a 4 inch round "bench glass" with a fluorescent ring around it.
EDIT: The Northern one has an incandescent lamp behind, higher end units have a "Circline" lamp. END EDIT
They tend to be a little costly these days, but some alternatives do exist. Horrible Fright carries a smaller version, 3 inch I think, mounted to a weighted base. The lens is acrylic, maybe 2X, but has a spot lense that is double that. I modified the base to use a bench clamp from a larger version. The illustrated is suitable for bench or desk. They are much cheaper than the larger version.
Then there is a device called an "Opti-Visor". It is available from many sources, some good, some not so good, and some simply trash. Mostly they have acrylic lenses, some with several sets of varying strength to suit the work involved. I use one occasionally, but not often because I have problems with one eye.
Any of these will leave your hands free for soldering, or any other work that requires both hands. I have several examples of each, their use depending on what I am working on or with.

Last edited:
Book cameras are another option.

Here is some from ours, reference is this is a Atmosclock looking through a hole, maybe 1/16 diameter.

Gooseneck allows it to be placed where needed and can do real close for inspection or at distance for work.
29ef6dfd47e4625e2dc87e921e57efe0.jpg
5948d70ab603e7ec18198b948b6bb4b9.jpg
1e6011a414716af0bd2cb2714573eea5.jpg
2239e0d5c587194778d9ee98e89e3b2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

There are several versions of optics for working with small devices. I don't do surface mount devices, my hands aren't steady enough. But I do do 1/10 inch through hole work. The most widely known is a 4 inch round "bench glass" with a fluorescent ring around it.
EDIT: The Northern one has an incandescent lamp behind, higher end units have a "Circline" lamp. END EDIT
They tend to be a little costly these days, but some alternatives do exist. Horrible Fright carries a smaller version, 3 inch I think, mounted to a weighted base. The lens is acrylic, maybe 2X, but has a spot lense that is double that. I modified the base to use a bench clamp from a larger version. The illustrated is suitable for bench or desk. They are much cheaper than the larger version.
Then there is a device called an "Opti-Visor". It is available from many sources, some good, some not so good, and some simply trash. Mostly they have acrylic lenses, some with several sets of varying strength to suit the work involved. I use one occasionally, but not often because I have problems with one eye.
Any of these will leave your hands free for soldering, or any other work that requires both hands. I have several examples of each, their use depending on what I am working on or with.

I use a bench glass with a circuline bulb. Can't be beat.

I once worked for a microwave / RF company. Each workstation on their production floor had a bench glass with a circular bulb. I use one at home. Every hobbyist should have one. I don't know about the HF model. I'd check the optics carefully before purchasing.

Back