Soldering magnifying glass

I have a bench glass with circular bulb but find that I rarely use it any more. I just grab the Opto-Visor. I also have several gooseneck LED task lights on my electronics bench. I have three Opto-Visors, one on the electronics bench, and two in the metal shop so there is always one handy.

So many informative posts. Thank you. I bought this item,

It is similar to one discussed above, and also similar to one mentioned here:

However, it didn't appear to have good magnification, and when putting 2 together, I see 2 pictures far apart using 2 eyes, so I have to close 1 eye. It's not good for me.

I really like the fact that it provides wider field of view when I move my eyes around, so I still hope maybe another different pair may work better (that is not so cheap that I picked :) )

I now buy this, and will update how it goes when I receive it.

I am currently worry it doesn't provide depth due to single screen/single lens. Hopefully it is not too bad. I will have to remove and solder more than 30 pieces, so it's probably stressful.

So many informative posts. Thank you. I bought this item,

It is similar to one discussed above, and also similar to one mentioned here:

However, it didn't appear to have good magnification, and when putting 2 together, I see 2 pictures far apart using 2 eyes, so I have to close 1 eye. It's not good for me.

I really like the fact that it provides wider field of view when I move my eyes around, so I still hope maybe another different pair may work better (that is not so cheap that I picked :) )

I now buy this, and will update how it goes when I receive it.

I am currently worry it doesn't provide depth due to single screen/single lens. Hopefully it is not too bad. I will have to remove and solder more than 30 pieces, so it's probably stressful.

So the ones he recommends are similar to what some of us suggested. The only difference from the one he mentions at the end, is the ability to place two lens at once. That is indeed an added benefit. Thank you for sharing.

Do share your experience with that microscope device... I tend to like to be able to see the part directly and not through a screen... unless the screen is high quality and high resolution, it is not the same for me...

The problem with soldering and microscopes/magnifiers is that they bring your face right down over the fumes while you are working. Some of the low power microscopes for dissection are offset forward enough to keep the fumes out of your breathing zone. If you end up with a configuration that exposes your lungs and sinus/larynx tissues to acid smoke or flux gases, set up a fume capture device or use a fan to blow fresh air toward your face. Hours and hours under the scope with the right type of flux will have an impact on your health. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Back