SolidWorks Maker Version

rogerl

Registered
Registered
Has anyone tried the Maker version of SolidWorks? I use SolidWorks at work and I am looking for a simple version that I can use at home. I do not need any of the analysis packages. Just need to be able to do design, detail, print, and export to .STL files for the 3D printer. I have not done a lot of investigation into this package. Just curious if anyone here is using it. For $48.00 per year the price will not break the bank. Any information would be great.

Roger L

I have it. I use it for making stl. Files for 3d prints and dxf for plasma table. I don't use any of the analysis stuff but the cad parts works just like the professional version I learned on in school.

I had / have it, but couldn't get it to update the user license after a year... I only use it occasionally so I haven't bothered to figure it out, but while I did have it uptodate, it worked well.

thanks for the information. The web page says it is cloud based storage. Can I store my projects on my hard drive as well?

Thanks
Roger L

thanks for the information. The web page says it is cloud based storage. Can I store my projects on my hard drive as well?

Thanks
Roger L
I'm not sure with the current iteration, but what I was using was stored on my hard drive. One of the reasons I chose solid works was that they allowed my to order a CD With the software on it - I live in the country and have poor internet service. I wonder if they changed everything and that is why I had trouble renewing / upgrading. I keep meaning to check into this, but I had to take a second job last year and just haven't had time to figure it out.
If you go forward with them, be sure to let us know.

You can save it on both.

If you set it up you can also share files using their server to work on projects with others. That is a perk that I plan to use with my brother who lives 40 mins away so we can help each other with designs.

Has anyone tried the Maker version of SolidWorks? I use SolidWorks at work and I am looking for a simple version that I can use at home. I do not need any of the analysis packages. Just need to be able to do design, detail, print, and export to .STL files for the 3D printer. I have not done a lot of investigation into this package. Just curious if anyone here is using it. For $48.00 per year the price will not break the bank. Any information would be great.

Roger L
I bought this for my son to use it and it works the same as the professional version I use here at work. You can do a local install of SolidWorks and save all of your files locally. The one catch is these files (like the student version) are locked to being used with the "Maker" version of the software. That is, if you try opening a .SLDPRT or .SLDASM file generated in the maker version using a full professional license, it won't let you. Super lame for sure. For portability reasons you might want to get in the habit of making parasolid and step file versions of your projects.

Thanks for all of the replies. I need to verify that my computer is up for running solidworks. I have 2019 loaded on it right now but it is a real pain to have to deactivate the license at work to be able to use it at home. Then hope you do not forget to deactivate it at home so you can use it at work. For $48.00 per year you can not beat the cost for full blown SolidWorks.

Roger L

I find Solidworks has a steep learning curve and is quite clunky.
I don't see it worth what is charged, especially when there are programs that you can use for free that can do 3D design.
And, for how clunky it is, and the cost for a full license, it's "cheaper" to fly to China, find a street vendor selling software, and buy a fully unlocked version for less than $20.

Yeah, I know... Not funny... China, etc.

Thanks for all of the replies. I need to verify that my computer is up for running solidworks. I have 2019 loaded on it right now but it is a real pain to have to deactivate the license at work to be able to use it at home. Then hope you do not forget to deactivate it at home so you can use it at work. For $48.00 per year you can not beat the cost for full blown SolidWorks.

Roger L
The price is good for sure. If you wanted to bounce between using your work license in the office and at home you could setup a VPN so you could remotely access your home system from work and close solidworks when needed.

Back