SolidWorks Maker Version

I find Solidworks has a steep learning curve and is quite clunky.
I don't see it worth what is charged, especially when there are programs that you can use for free that can do 3D design.
And, for how clunky it is, and the cost for a full license, it's "cheaper" to fly to China, find a street vendor selling software, and buy a fully unlocked version for less than $20.

Yeah, I know... Not funny... China, etc.
Nearly all of the CAD programs have a steep learning curve. Solidworks is far from clunky, IMHO. One of the issues folks face with Solidworks is that it is highly customizable and, therefore, can be daunting. Solidworks is highly capable, which is why a lot of corporations use it.
One's chances of getting Solidworks from a "street vendor" that will work is highly unlikely. Dassault has that ecosystem locked down.

@rogerl I would recommend getting the student desktop version. Files are stored locally, and the program is fully functional. Here is a link to the website. Choose the "Buy Desktop" and you will be on your way.

Nearly all of the CAD programs have a steep learning curve. Solidworks is far from clunky, IMHO. One of the issues folks face with Solidworks is that it is highly customizable and, therefore, can be daunting. Solidworks is highly capable, which is why a lot of corporations use it.
One's chances of getting Solidworks from a "street vendor" that will work is highly unlikely. Dassault has that ecosystem locked down.

@rogerl I would recommend getting the student desktop version. Files are stored locally, and the program is fully functional. Here is a link to the website. Choose the "Buy Desktop" and you will be on your way.
Perhaps SW isn't clunky to someone who has learned all it's quirks that are different from all other logical programs but it's quirky.
Or maybe I've had 3 bad installs with the same problems.
I think it was the 2014 version that I had the least problems.

At any rate, to each their own but if I use a group select tool, it should select everything in the group. If I import a file and say to merge all entities closer than a certain area, it should merge those entities. I shouldn't have to zoom to maximum to fins a line segment that's .002" that, somehow, ended up being there, just so I can do a 4mm extrude.
If I select a face, and want to put a hole there, it shouldn't give me an error.

And, yes, I understand all the "Well, that's because..." qualifiers.

Has anyone tried the Maker version of SolidWorks? I use SolidWorks at work and I am looking for a simple version that I can use at home. I do not need any of the analysis packages. Just need to be able to do design, detail, print, and export to .STL files for the 3D printer. I have not done a lot of investigation into this package. Just curious if anyone here is using it. For $48.00 per year the price will not break the bank. Any information would be great.

Roger L
I did not know about this version, I am a Solid Works user at work, I have been using Alegra I will investigate this. Thanks

Perhaps SW isn't clunky to someone who has learned all it's quirks that are different from all other logical programs but it's quirky.

At any rate, to each their own but if I use a group select tool, it should select everything in the group. If I import a file and say to merge all entities closer than a certain area, it should merge those entities. I shouldn't have to zoom to maximum to fins a line segment that's .002" that, somehow, ended up being there, just so I can do a 4mm extrude.
If I select a face, and want to put a hole there, it shouldn't give me an error.

If you think Solidworks is tough try Pro-E....

I have been using SolidWorks since 2004. I am self taught; no instructional classes. I bought my own seat of 2012 SolidWorks when I retired although I mostly use the 2010 version. I wouldn't consider myself a power user but with over 5,000 files on my computer , I would say that I have some experience.

There are some quirks but there has always been some sort of workaround for me. The biggest problem I have is knowing where to find the right buttons to push. Sadly, my memory isn't what it used to be and even though I know a procedure exists, knowing how to access it can be a challenge and frustrating as a result.. Other times, I know that logically I can construct something but the math engine doesn't recognize my obvious approach.

As with any full featured CAD package, there is a steep learning curve. There was for me in learning to use AutoCAD and in migrating from AutoCAD to SolidWorks and when I tried Creo and Fusion 360 it was enough that I didn't pursue either even though I had been using SolidWorks for ten years at the time. For me at least, the issue is one of sticking to it. They all require some commitment to memory of how to accomplish the task at hand and constant and repetitive use minimizes that process.

Thanks for the link. I just took a look at it with an interest to purchase. When you click buy desktop one of the pieces of mandatory requested info is school. Do they not require proof of registration?

Thanks for the link. I just took a look at it with an interest to purchase. When you click buy desktop one of the pieces of mandatory requested info is school. Do they not require proof of registration?
Shhhhh. Nope ;)

This is my second year of doing this. I use my normal email, so not an .edu address.
Then I quickly click through all of the agreements saying that I will spend the rest of my life in jail if I am untruthful and I am really not a student. I actually don't know if it says that or not because I've never read them.
I will say that I only use it at home, mostly for 3D printing and I have never used it to make money.

The price is good for sure. If you wanted to bounce between using your work license in the office and at home you could setup a VPN so you could remotely access your home system from work and close solidworks when needed.
During COVID all of the engineers at work were able to work remotely thru the VPN. Since then my company has locked this down to stay away from all of the hacking and ransom attacks that are going on. I will be retiring at the end of the year so I will need to buy somthing anyhow. Need to look into the student edition. Thanks for all of the great information.

Roger L

During COVID all of the engineers at work were able to work remotely thru the VPN. Since then my company has locked this down to stay away from all of the hacking and ransom attacks that are going on. I will be retiring at the end of the year so I will need to buy somthing anyhow. Need to look into the student edition. Thanks for all of the great information.

Roger L
Roger,

The maker version looks good and Alibre is also pretty good... I got in a bit of a pickle once over educational version software so I tend to not do that.

I looked at Alibre 6 months or so ago. The nice thing about Alibre is once you buy it, it's yours for perpetuity. There was something about it, though, that stopped me. I don't remember what it was, but there was some functionality that I didn't care for. I wish I could remember what it was.
I also donwloaded FreeCad v21. OMG. It seemed like that was an utter mess. I wish it would work for me but it at this point it just doesn't.

Back