[How do I?] Some Help On Threads

Dimitrislma

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, i just bough an old lathe, i guess it should be around 1950 manufactured, and i cannot figure out the threads on the spindle.
I need to make a new back plate for my new chuck but i don't have the treading gears so i need to identify them so i could machine 2 back plates(the boss with the threads only) on a shop.
I have a public photo album on FB with photos from my restoration on the lathe but the site wont let me post the link.
Thanks for the help!!!
IMG_20160428_225251.jpg IMG_20160428_225239.jpg

Here is the photo album
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741835.100008231050292&type=1&l=7fa03e1eb4

Last edited:
Oh, and another question if you please.
Can I make the back plate a mild steel, a square piece with a weld on cylinder piece for the boss.

Hi everyone, i just bough an old lathe, i guess it should be around 1950 manufactured, and i cannot figure out the threads on the spindle.
You could perhaps,
Post some pictures of your lathe Or give a make and model.
Drag some of your FB pics...
As to your second question: No. "with a weld on cylinder piece for the boss" To the weld on part.
Welcome by the way!

Last edited:
Make and Model of lathe makes it much easier to figure out thread.

You could perhaps,
Post some pictures of your lathe Or give a make and model.
Drag some of your FB pics...
As to your second question: No. "with a weld on cylinder piece for the boss" To the weld on part.
Welcome by the way!

I updated the first post with a link to my lathe photo album.
I do not have the option to buy a cast iron plate, i will try to find a round bar stock about 200mm diameter, i think it will be pretty hard to find such a stock though.
How about making the round stock press fit in to the plate and then weld it on from the back?

From the photo it looks about a 3mm pitch, it's worth mesuring the o.d. With calipers and compairing it to standard metric threads. http://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/metric-external-thread-sizes2.htm

If it's not made in Greece it could possibly be imperial thread.

Stuart

Unfortunately i did not find any mark, number, model or maker.
I did remove all the old paint and still did find anything, only the motor model witch is an old Greek company, maybe this lathe is a Greek model, who knows!

Make and Model of lathe makes it much easier to figure out thread.

Sorry but i do not understand what you guys mean with "Make and Model" expression, English is not my mother language.

I find out some other guy that has a tutorial about welding the boss on the plate, he make 2 weld, one on the inside, in the the oversized hole ton the plate, and one on the side that you weld.
I don't have any other option so i will be going that way anyhow...what is the worst that it can happen?I think it is pretty hard to just lose and brake the weld with rotation action, it will pretty much give a lot of runnout before it will broke.

Last edited:
Who made the Lathe ? Monark, South Bend, Clausing, are examples of Make. If you can post a few photos of the lathe that would also help.

Who made the Lathe ? Monark, South Bend, Clausing, are examples of Make. If you can post a few photos of the lathe that would also help.
I have edited my first post on the topic and i have a link with a public album with lots of photos to see, i also uploaded an album to the forum.
Sadly i have no clue what brand the lathe is, the previous owner have bough it second hand and he doesn't know either.

I don't think I have ever seen a lathe without a footing at the end before. I know most manufacturers stamp a serial number on the bed at the end. That looks like one beefy machine though. Maybe someone on here can help you out.

Back