Soon to be a PM-935T-S owner

Tim,
Finally had an opportunity to pick up the PM-935T-S mill yesterday.
The weather was warm. In the 40s but rained constantly.
Got home by 7:00 p.m. and it was dark and foggy.
Three friends helped drag the pallet off the trailer and into the garage.
Used pipes under 2x4 boards under the pallet.
One neighbor brought over a two ton engine hoist.
Really needed that.
Two hours to from the trailer to placing and leveling the mill.
Spent the rest of the day cleaning and setting up.

Cheers,

Ted

I'm probably going to have to get an engine hoist to fine tune mine a bit. The pallet that it's still on is not rigid enough. I'm going to have to pick it up to put something firmer under it. I'm thinking a 6x6 frame or something along those lines. I'm 6'4" so I want the mill to be a little taller so I don't have to bend over so much.

You're very smart to customize the machine for your needs! My surface grinder is too low and after a couple hours, it can cause some real kinks in the back if you're not careful.

Ray

I'm probably going to have to get an engine hoist to fine tune mine a bit. The pallet that it's still on is not rigid enough. I'm going to have to pick it up to put something firmer under it. I'm thinking a 6x6 frame or something along those lines. I'm 6'4" so I want the mill to be a little taller so I don't have to bend over so much.

I did something similar with my little SB lathe by mounting it on a 43" tall tool box lower, and will do the same for my little PM25. I'm a inch shorter than you, but I still have issues with standard height benches and such. Makes my lower back hurt just thinking about it. ;)

Bill

I built a base frame of 2" square tube with Footmaster caster/levelers (which support 1100 lbs each) and raised my PM-932 a total of 5 inches. Not only does it roll easily when needed, the levels are independently adjustable and are rubber and dampen vibration nicely. The table height went from 34" to 39" which suites me just fine.
Ed

Any new photos with chips and oil to show off, Tim? The TS would just fit in my garage and I'm thinking of buying one to replace my Grizzly bench mill.

I'm just in the process of ordering one of these guys. The hit to my wallet hurts, but it needs to be done and I can't find a higher quality turn-key mill that is sized like this one. Perfect for my small shop.

You never really realize how badly you need a mill until you own/run a lathe without a owning a mill.

Some work and a mod.

I haven't updated this in a while so here's a pic of some small work along with a mod I made. I have a 3 axis DRO but didn't have anything to measure quill movement. My gunsmithing instructor had this setup so I decided to duplicate it the best I could. Works well.

TRP_pin_work.112103138_large.jpe

IMG_1092.116174107_large.JPG

IMG_1093.116174231_large.JPG

IMG_1094.116174327_large.JPG

TRP_pin_work.112103138_large.jpeg IMG_1092.116174107_large.JPG IMG_1094.116174327_large.JPG

Some work and a mod.

I haven't updated this in a while so here's a pic of some small work along with a mod I made. I have a 3 axis DRO but didn't have anything to measure quill movement. My gunsmithing instructor had this setup so I decided to duplicate it the best I could. Works well.

You mention you have a 3-axis DRO. Out of curiosity, did you ask to have the Z-axis installed on the knee or was that what Matt at PM did by default (or maybe you installed it yourself...)? I've seen some mills with the Z-axis installed on the quill, rather than the knee. Actually, I sort of thought that was more typical, so I just shot Matt an email to verify... I ordered a 3-axis DRO with mine and assumed the Z-axis would be installed on the quill, but realize that perhaps that's a bad assumption.

The Z-axis for the DRO will be on the knee not the quill. For reference the knee is usually adjusted on a knee style mill more so than the quill for measured cuts. The quill is usually used for depth of cuts on a benchtop mill/drill due to convenience. Usually the quill is locked against a stop, then the work is brought up to the tool and the depth is set by the knee. I generally move the knee up to about .010" shy for rough cutting and them move up that last .010" for the final all with the knee with the quill against the stop and locked. Maybe others do it differently and hopefully they will chime in. I haven't been "formally" trained, just that is how I do it on our BP clone at work.

I am still going to fabricate a fixture to hold a linear digital scale for my quill much like I had on my tailstock of my previous lathe and almost exactly like what comes on the PM-932 benchtop model.

Just out of curiosity, when did you order your 935 from Matt?

Mike.

Back