Soon to be a PM-935T-S owner

Well...the noise was not what I thought it was. I think it is related to the back gear that is High/Low speed, once I take it out of high it locks up solid? Hopefully I can track down Matt tomorrow and see what his thoughts are.

Well that was bugging me so I went on you tube and looked around a bit on google. I realized that the lever on the top of the head that operates the clutch for the back drive should move freely. When you move it too the high speed position and rotate the pulley it should drop down to engage the clutch. Well the lever on mine was not moving freely at all, I pushed it to the back a bit and that stopped the noise. The sleeve that it slides in is completely seized not allowing it to engage and disengage. Obviously no one ran it on high and low speeds before it left the warehouse. To say I am upset is an understatement so I will be on the phone tomorrow, see what happens.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Let us know what you find out. I have one at the warehouse waiting to be packaged up.

Last edited:
I got in touch with Matt today and he has given me a couple of things to try. He got right back to me on e-mail (best way to get in touch with him). I will try them tonight and see what happens. I was a bit frustrated last night and should not have posted anything until I spoke with Matt, so please do not draw any inferences from my earlier comments. To be fair to him the machine traveled probably 2,500 miles before it got to me and I know zero about them! I am sure a good portion of his sales are to people like me that are clueless and he has to deal with us on a daily basis!

Sparky,
I am sure by now you have spoken to Matt and he is sending out the parts you need to repair the issue. It has been my experience in following him and his products that he is a stand up fellow who will do what ever it takes to get you back in the game and whole again. So I understand being a little angry and frustrated, but anything made by a human being can have an issue and what sets Matt apart from many of the others is how he steps up and takes care of any issue first and worries about paperwork and admin junk later. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly and professionally Matt gets your issue resolved. Just sayin....

Bob

Well I did a little research and talked to Matt today and figured out what was going on. The biggest problem it turns out was I did not know how the hi/low part of the spindle works. When you push the lever on the top to the back it lifts up the spline that the front pulleys are mounted on and you are only running off the back gear. When the spline disengages the clearance between the "dogs" is quite limited, so the noise I was getting was the lower part hitting the top part ever so slightly. The reason I could not get the spindle back together was that the fit is quite tight between the two shafts so gravity was not enough to let it drop into place as you rotated the pulley. Matt said to just line the "dogs" up by eye and give the ring on top a tap with a plastic hammer. The travel is only about 1/4" so they popped together no problem. I worked them up and down a few times and the friction was a lot less. In doing a little reading this is a common "problem" with this style of Bridgeport head; the set screws that travel in the cam loosen up and you don't disengage the spline totally and get what sounds like horrendous noises.

After experimenting with the speeds a bit, I am just going to leave the head in high anyways; with the VFD you get a good speed range. The range is probably just as good or better than working the pulleys and back gear.

I am embarrassed for over reacting and will be e-mailing Matt in the morning to apologize for pushing the panic button. You have to be in the right frame of mind when experimenting with things, and after working for about 11 hours I was definitely out of patience.

One of the most notorious, horrible, end of the world sound that can come from a BP step pulley drive is when you shift that collar down, but it does not engage properly. If you hit the power, you will hear it. I don't know any machinists who have never done it or heard it. I have a habit of holding the spindle nose and moving the motor pulley until it drops in with a reassuring clunk, if it isn't. I thought that might be part of your problem, or perhaps if the brake lever is held in "brake" position, that collar cannot drop into place.

Glad you got it resolved, at any rate.

This is the nature of things along with the learning process. In days gone by, when equipment like this was purchased, it would be delivered and installed by a technician that helped resolve these things or, it would have been purchased locally where you could get direct help. Anyhow, I saw this post a few days ago but, really couldn't help because I'm not familiar with the machine but, I had a feeling it was just a matter of getting things setup properly.

Ray

Well I did a little research and talked to Matt today and figured out what was going on. The biggest problem it turns out was I did not know how the hi/low part of the spindle works. When you push the lever on the top to the back it lifts up the spline that the front pulleys are mounted on and you are only running off the back gear. When the spline disengages the clearance between the "dogs" is quite limited, so the noise I was getting was the lower part hitting the top part ever so slightly. The reason I could not get the spindle back together was that the fit is quite tight between the two shafts so gravity was not enough to let it drop into place as you rotated the pulley. Matt said to just line the "dogs" up by eye and give the ring on top a tap with a plastic hammer. The travel is only about 1/4" so they popped together no problem. I worked them up and down a few times and the friction was a lot less. In doing a little reading this is a common "problem" with this style of Bridgeport head; the set screws that travel in the cam loosen up and you don't disengage the spline totally and get what sounds like horrendous noises.

After experimenting with the speeds a bit, I am just going to leave the head in high anyways; with the VFD you get a good speed range. The range is probably just as good or better than working the pulleys and back gear.

I am embarrassed for over reacting and will be e-mailing Matt in the morning to apologize for pushing the panic button. You have to be in the right frame of mind when experimenting with things, and after working for about 11 hours I was definitely out of patience.

Well that was bugging me so I went on you tube and looked around a bit on google. I realized that the lever on the top of the head that operates the clutch for the back drive should move freely. When you move it too the high speed position and rotate the pulley it should drop down to engage the clutch. Well the lever on mine was not moving freely at all, I pushed it to the back a bit and that stopped the noise. The sleeve that it slides in is completely seized not allowing it to engage and disengage. Obviously no one ran it on high and low speeds before it left the warehouse. To say I am upset is an understatement so I will be on the phone tomorrow, see what happens.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Gerry,
Sorry to hear you have an issue with the mill.
I am about to order the PM-935T-S mill and have been following your latest experience.
Thanks for sharing the effort and steps you are taking to restore proper operation.
Did the mill come with comprehensive mechanical drawings and electrical schematic and parts list?
The mechanical drawings I am used to would help to see how the critical parts are put together.
Praise God you are OK and there is no major damage.
Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Ted

The OP updated the situation and there's nothing wrong with the machine...

Gerry,
Sorry to hear you have an issue with the mill.
I am about to order the PM-935T-S mill and have been following your latest experience.
Thanks for sharing the effort and steps you are taking to restore proper operation.
Did the mill come with comprehensive mechanical drawings and electrical schematic and parts list?
The mechanical drawings I am used to would help to see how the critical parts are put together.
Praise God you are OK and there is no major damage.
Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Ted

Back