Source for good quality 4" 3-jaw chuck (import)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Hadn't seen those. For the two piece jaws alone I'd pay the extra. That will let you use soft jaws down if you need to down the road. Took me a while before I started using soft jaws but I think they are invaluable.

I can't ever justify name brand stuff for a hobby, but this would be one place where I'd consider the upgrade.

Dude, the Doc gave you sound advice, as did mmcldl. A 3 jaw scroll chuck is a first operations device and anything you turn in it the first time will be on the dead centerline of the spindle, regardless of the degree of run out.

I suggest you leave your snarkiness at the door.

I fully understand that any chuck I get will require adjustment and work to maximize accuracy. I also understand the inherent inaccuracies of a 3-jaw chuck.

This doesn't change the fact that my used lathe came missing its chuck and I need to buy one. Again the question I asked was is if anyone had a recommendation on a supplier they had been happy with.

I'm sorry if you don't like the snarkiness, try answering the question asked.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk

If you are looking for a cheap chuck, you will get what you pay for ... If it is an inexpensive lathe, then most likely you will be limited by many other factors that will effect the accuracy of the cut.

It's a Intelitek Prolight 3000. Decent lathe. I paid $300 for it. Was hoping to not to double the price I paid to add a chuck but I may have to.

I would agree that Shar's tends to have a bit better quality products these days then the generic Chinese chucks/products for sale. You will want to do a skim cut on the back plate and mount the chuck. If it is out few thousandth, you can cut the register by a few thousandth an lightly tap the chuck to adjust the TIR and then fully tighten the mounting bolts.
Thanks. I understand the procedure to true the backplate/chuck.

Thanks. They have a another 4" (higher quality than the one I linked to in my first post according to Shars) but it's a front mount. I need to look more as to if it can work with the backplate I have.

5" is the max size, there is no clearance for 6". Getting a 5" had crossed my mind but I decided to stick with 4" as that was what originally came with machine. I also have already purchased the 4" backplate.

Thank you for the suggestions.

To the OP, what is your definition of "import?" Some of the best chucks (like Bison) are not made in the U.S., so are you referring to only Chinese and Taiwan as counting as import, or all non-U.S. chucks?

Last edited:
To the OP, what is your definition of "import?" Some of the best chucks are not made in the U.S., so are you referring to Chinese and Taiwan as import, or all non-U.S. chucks?
In first post I mentioned Bison which are obviously made in Poland.

At the amount I was hoping to spend I assumed I'm looking at Asian or used (which I'd want to personally inspect before buying and I've not found anything local to me in 4 months looking).

I understand its a bit of a loosy-goosy question. I've found that quality vs price is generally not a linear relationship. Clearly there is a $400 Bison at one end and a $35 eBay special at the other.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Do your own research . Plenty of threads regarding chucks of all grades . There will be plenty of responses from all who have an opinion . Take them as opinions only , we have a great group here that are more than willing to steer you in the right direction . It always comes down to what you are willing to spend vs. your expectations . You spend $86 vs. $450 there will be differences in quality . You answered your own question in your original post , I spent this and was not happy with what I received . So what answer is correct for you ?

We on board have no secret connections to deals other than knowing what we're looking for . If looking for quality tooling , expect to pay for it . It's just the way it is , no disrespect meant .

The 5" might be pushing it for your lathe. While it might fit, you probably wont be able to open the jaws beyond the OD of the chuck which would seriously limit clamping range.

Can anyone recommend a source for a decent quality 4" 3-jaw self-centering (scroll) chuck that is ideally around $100.
I simply asked if anyone had a specific suggestion on a supplier. Clearly you don't. Got it.
I'm sorry if you don't like the snarkiness, try answering the question asked.

Yes, anyone can recommend a source for a decent quality 4" 3-jaw self-centering (scroll) chuck that is ideally around $100. You're welcome.

Tom

Do your own research .
Ah, the old RTFM reply :)

There will be plenty of responses from all who have an opinion . Take them as opinions only

Generally when I read something on the Internet I take it as fact. Is that wrong?

You spend $86 vs. $450 there will be differences in quality .
I am aware of the "you get what you pay for adage". It's also generally not linear.

So what answer is correct for you ?

I was actively soliciting opinions. I can tell you that not asking the question will result in an answer to your question of zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back