Source for wooden tool storage boxes? (not toolboxes)

We used to have a store called the pine mill store. Had all sorts of made boxes .
My buddy used a place like this to have shipping containers made for his dads steam engine collection .
They had a upgrade package for weather proof sheathing and a weather tight lid. They where well made but heavy.
My friend and his dad are both carpenters and the savings vs them buying supplies and finding time to do it just was not there they said.

Or how about contracting local Vocational School?

Search for finger joint boxes on eBay, and you will find quite a few. I always keep my eyes open for them at sales (cheaper that way, but you don't know what you will find). Also, recipe boxes work great for things like this, and a really common.

Hi and thank you for a site I return to again and again!

I'm trying - and failing - to find a source for plain wooden boxes like the ones special tools come in (and are long lost before sale on Ebay). The kind you might dress with snug foam and green felt. Similar to wine boxes but not wine boxes. I find all sorts of one of a kind way the wrong size items. It's vanity for sure, but I have some nice precision tools that shouldn't be banged around in a toolbox. I don't want to make these myself if I can help it.

Thanks!
Hi Frank. I'm a very old woodworker that would enjoy making wooden boxes to your specification. I've made many, and have placed some of my treasured woodworking vintage tools in some. Send me a pm for more details if you wish. It's part of my hobby, not a business. I also have a well equipped metal working shop and that is why I follow things here.
DanKMVIMG_20190821_111955928.jpgIMG_20160829_161345380.jpgIMG_20160805_103243758.jpg
DanK

Timesavers is a clock supply place.

They had some boxes about 6x5x1 for a couple bucks each on clearance.

Good size for mics and such sized tools.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Capture.PNG
Shhhwwweeeett ! And that box is nice too ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Around here tobacco shops sell or give away wooden cigar boxes. I have several different sizes that work for me

You might try looking for flat file cabinets like artists and architects use to hold drawings. Add some dividers to keep things separate. A machinest tool box/chest would also work with dividers to keep things separate.

Yes, cigar stores. Some cigar boxes are beautifully made. The local cigar store here sells them for $2, which they donate to a charity. I have a bunch.

Yes, cigar stores. Some cigar boxes are beautifully made. The local cigar store here sells them for $2, which they donate to a charity. I have a bunch.
The local stores here require that you buy a full box to get the box, won't even sell you the box if you buy what's left in it.

Back