Source for wooden tool storage boxes? (not toolboxes)

Sorry to all on page 2 - I missed it! Problem solved though - cheap wine boxes. :)

@Dan Krager - I mean wow. Given that I bought some $6 wine boxes, it would be an insult to even think about asking you. The birds eye curly curved top - I'm making that kissing sound when something is beautiful.

And what's that dark wood... solid walnut? The color reminds me of a 40ish x 12ish x 2ish chunk of Massaranduba I intend to put on the mill some day to make it flat. Hard as brass. Heavy as f. Not table-saw-able with carbide. Well, maybe 2" per minute. Then I will probably wreck it building something ugly.

@mmcmdl The shipping would be exactly the cost of an airplane ticket. :p

@ChazzC lol

Solved! Cheap 2-packs. They say "Wine" on them. Would be better with "Whine" on them. An interesting thing I discovered: a lot of wine boxes have a glass-shaped laser cutout. I found more than one place selling those cutouts for crafts. Recycle for victory! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097QQ1BZ1/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2NK89850H0GO2&psc=1
Didn’t think about vertical boxes; I guess we were all assuming horizontal rectilinear boxes.

One of the few good things about the “State Stores” (Fine Wines & Good Spirits) in PA is that gift-boxed product sells for the same price as regular bottles, and many of the wooden boxes are HD. As a plus, either the box is free or the contents are a lower cost.

Check out HOBBY LOBBY they usually have many small wooden boxes of different sizes and shapes

I have an eBay purchased Starrett level that was a little rough. My buddy needed to level his new lathe and asked if he could borrow mine, sure no problem. It came back looking like new with a new wooden box. I'm assuming he made the box from a chunk of wood, no idea how he applied the logo, he crossed out the Starrett and wrote my name (I blocked out my name in the image). Obviously the box is not quite level;-)

Attachments

• 9154D0A7-DF39-47CE-B41B-9DBB36306739.jpeg
    9154D0A7-DF39-47CE-B41B-9DBB36306739.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Sorry to all on page 2 - I missed it! Problem solved though - cheap wine boxes. :)

@Dan Krager - I mean wow. Given that I bought some $6 wine boxes, it would be an insult to even think about asking you. The birds eye curly curved top - I'm making that kissing sound when something is beautiful.

And what's that dark wood... solid walnut? The color reminds me of a 40ish x 12ish x 2ish chunk of Massaranduba I intend to put on the mill some day to make it flat. Hard as brass. Heavy as f. Not table-saw-able with carbide. Well, maybe 2" per minute. Then I will probably wreck it building something ugly.

@mmcmdl The shipping would be exactly the cost of an airplane ticket. :p

@ChazzC lol
Hey Frank. 10-4 on the shipping. It's often the deal breaker. But you're welcome to visit!
The "trunk" shaped box is made of sycamore with clear lacquer finish. The dark wood is American black walnut grown in north central Illinois and harvested maybe 40 years ago. Inside the big walnut box is a Stanley 77 dowel maker and all it's cutters. The smaller sliding lid box is home to a Stanley 444 (sliding aka French) dovetail plane. I have five other Stanley multiplanes that each deserve their own box. Someday. Soon.
DanK

old silverware boxes , and as above wooden cigar boxes

Waking the dead. Why not? This conversation inspired me to make some fancy toolboxes in the woodshop. Made two identical boxes.

The outer frames are castoffs from a museum thus the screw holes. The finger joints look disjointed because they have to follow the frame profiles. The wood is unstained cherry with only clear shellac.

The top lid is some exotic veneer I got in the early 80s. Probably banned everywhere now. Clear shellac. Bottom panels are just dark stain on thin plywood with shellac.

The glueup photo is two lid bottoms being clamped at the same time.

Design was done in the Sketchup screenshot.

Super rugged and will stand up to heavy machine tools.

Never again use picture frames this way. 8-|

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Sketchup.jpg
    Sketchup.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 14
  • corner-closeup.jpg
    corner-closeup.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Top-Closeup.jpg