Sources of Instruction for Us Beginners

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
I have no interest in the YouTube channel, nor do I know the sponsor.
I'm self taught, and over the past couple of years I've spent a lot of time, and learned a lot of why and how, from YouTube Videos. Derry, Dupal, Pieczynski, and others have been really helpful but there is one instructor who seems to have all of the answers for the beginner, a frank and direct style of communication and an effective teaching style that makes the time spent watching sequential videos worth my time.
Her name (yes, "her") is Quinn Dunki. She uses the YouTube channel "Blondihacks" and if you're beginner like me (I've only been at this a couple of years) you may find what she has to offer useful.
Check it out ... the core of her tutorials can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blondihacks+metal+lathe+tutorial+

I am proud to second (profoundly so) your sentiment. She is a real person who makes real mistakes, and shows you how to correct those mistakes. As a newbie myself (6 years self taught) I gravitate to her down to earth style. Cheers! We’re all in this together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met Quinn and some of the other You Tube machinists last year at the Good of the Land Fest. She was interesting to visit with and very approachable. She did a couple of milling demonstrations that were very informative for the attendees.

I enjoy and have learned a lot by watching Keith Rucker, Keith Fenner, and Adam Booth as well. I subscribe to more than 30 machinists' You Tube channels and have learned something from most all of them.

Quinn is bright, multi talented, a natural educator and lets us watch as she admits to both mental and process errors. That’s something that makes her very relatable to us nuubs. She also shows what limited space can turn out with reasonable investments. I too follow many machinists on YouTube but I do think she is one of the best to start with down this rabbit hole. Hats off to her family and others who helped inspire her and for my 3 young granddaughters I hope one day she inspires them with her videos.
John in Minnesota

I prefer Tubalcain to Blondie for informational videos. Also check our bablock02 for big, heavy repair work.

MrPete was a legend, but he’s all about politics and racist ranting now. “Teachers” are to be neutral as teachers, which he was in the beginning. Genuine and a gentleman. No longer the case.... which is sad really.

When I read the title, I thought you were asking for sources. My immediate thought was to tell you about blondihacks.... Lol. Great minds, as they say.

I don’t. I stopped watching him about 8 months ago when he was going off about how Covid 19 was “The China Virus”. Meanwhile he gladly accepts gifts from “Bangood” and others. He always apologizes for his rants, I simply stopped respecting him..... especially when there are SO many other options. A good friend shared with me a saying about a week ago, which I will guess is not new to anyone here...... “Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one”. I respect that everyone is entitled to their own, but I am not looking to the Youtube creator community for their political or racial opinions, but rather their professionalism and guidance. But with that said I apologize to all for dragging my own opinion into this..... MrPete disappointed me. I haven’t watched him in almost a year, and I no longer care to. Cheers all.... I will respectfully bow out of this strand.

Back