Sources of Instruction for Us Beginners

mrpete222 (Tubalcain) has shifted from being 'Your Youtube Shop Teacher' to something untoward?
I watched a couple of his in late spring and was rather surprised by a couple of his 'rants' so I quit watching.
Rather sad for a gent who uses a moniker from the Bible, Genesis 4:22....

Mr Pete is still my go to source for information. He has hundreds of videos on just about everything to do with machining oriented to a beginner. There are others that offer little tricks and tidbits that are very useful. But for the rank beginner you could start with Mr. Pete's first video and by the time you got to #400 or so you would have a good foundation to build on. I can't say the same for anybody else on the web.

I don't watch any of his videos or anybody else's videos that are just rants about anything.

I'll just say that I'm confused why "Spanish Flu" is OK, but "China Virus" is racist. Large virus outbreaks commonly (until now, I guess) get called by the location they first appeared in. "Wuhan Flu" was the common (and widely accepted) moniker for this until some decided it was racist. If everyone is a racist, nobody is.

That said, his cantankerous attitude, along with my discovering a plethora of others, pushed him down my favorites list. My "favorite" example is his video about shop fluids. He gets to cleaning agents and is talking about citrus hand cleaners such as Fast Orange. His closing comment (I'm paraphrasing) about them was: "And who in the world ever decided these all had to smell like orange?" :rolleyes:

I'm going to be repetitive here but "that Lazy Machinist" , Marc is a fantastic teacher, is all go and little show, has no (I mean zero) motive to make money for himself and is likely one of the very most knowledgeable machinists on all of YouTube. Others are great too but get used to Marc's unusual style and sense of humor and learn, really learn machining skills, ground up if you want. His are not the "background type videos" that I can watch while doing other things but his are organized, accurate and wonderful. A teacher I wish I had is there to be had. watch the others but make the time to really explore that "That Lazy Machinist" has to offer. I ignored him for years because his website looks strange amd is hard to navigate, I thought it was some for profit kinda thing, how wrong I was!

Last edited:
That Lazy Machinist..... in the top 5 overall for sure! I wish I had taken shop in high school..... and had I done so, I’d have wanted him as a teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be repetitive here but "that Lazy Machinist" , Marc is a fantastic teacher, is all go and little show, has no (I mean zero) motive to make money for himself and is likely one of the very most knowledgeable machinists on all of YouTube. Others are great too but get used to Marc's u usual style and sense of humor and learn, really learn machining skills, ground up if you want. His are not the "background type videos" that I can watch while doing other things but his are organized, accurate and wonderful. A teacher I wish I had is there to be had. watch the others but make the time to really explore that "That Lazy Machinist" has to offer. I ignored him for years because his website looks strange amd is hard to navigate, I thought it was some for profit kinda thing, how wrong I was!
Just looked him up, hadn't come across his channel at all.
So much for the Youtube algorithms. The Bots put up all sorts of suggestions for 'Machining' themed channels and I've never seen his.
I keep my one Google account just for 'Machinist' stuff on Youtube, that way it doesn't get 'polluted' with other stuff.

I think Marc's truly non promotional nature hurts him. I like Mr. Pete, he is like a high school shop teacher and very "seat of the pants". I watch most his stuff including the rants. I grew up around guys just like him. I commented on his video after a harbor freight rant and asked him why would he even go in that place? He answered with "mostly so I have something to talk about". I like that.

"That Lazy Machinist" is a passionate college level instructor, former tool and die maker and teaches what we would really need to know to become professional machinists. Things like order of operations, speeds and feeds, trigonometry (scares me) and basic foundational things in both theory and practice. He deserves out thanks for the Herculean efforts he has put forth, a body of training that is timeless. He is not the guy to watch just making chips and sharing random tidbits. I like OxTool, fenner and Abomb for that. I don't want to take away from what they do but it ain't the same.

blondi hacks is super bright, a novice and an example to all for how she applies her intellet. I don't watch any TV at all anymore, these folks and others are fantastic!

I don't watch any TV at all anymore, these folks and others are fantastic!

I can second that! I just "channel surf" between all the ones mentioned and a few others. The best kind of learning is when you are also being entertained. Many of these folks do that in every single video they put up.

Thanks everyone, Good info! I have been watching several of those already! I'll have to check out the lazy machinest YouTube.

I like Blondihacks as I kind of feel like I'm in the shop with a peer showing me how they do something. I find the same with Adam Savage, they both have a very conversational style. Quinn is a lot more organized than Adam Savage.
Sometimes I'm already there, and I'm like Ok, that is how I do it too, or I do it a little different but that works. Sometimes I'm like wow, I did not know that. Works well to reinforce as well as teach me new things.

Some of the others I am very much in the classroom, as they are so far beyond me in their skills that I have to stop and back up (would raise my hand in a real class room) and go, hold on there can you go over that again. My horizontal mill has a home largely due to watching Keith Rucker with his big K&T mill. I just found the machines fascinating so when I found a small one that would fit in my shop, I grabbed it.

I've learned a lot from Mr Pete's videos. If it wasn't for his videos of disassembling a Logan lathe to move in into the basement, it would have taken me a lot longer to gain the confidence to move a machine larger than I can hand carry into my shop.

Yes he gets onto some rants, but he is old, what pushing 80? I grant old people the space to rant, they have done and seen a lot of things and their patience is probably worn pretty thin. Fabulous thing with youtube, if the rant to useful info ratio gets too out of wack, I have the ability to fast forward or move on to something else.

Back