South bend accessories

Don't give up on that collet closer tube. If it isn't kinked, odds are you can massage it back to round.
IF all else fails, you can either make a new tube or cut the end off and weld on a new piece.
I made the complete assembly for my 10K and it wasn't all that hard. The most difficult was learning to make the internal threads and getting them the right size. I used up a bunch of black iron pipe doing practice runs. My collection of used 6K collets had quite a lot of variance in the threads.
That hand closer is definitely worth saving or at least restoring/repairing.

Don't give up on that collet closer tube. If it isn't kinked, odds are you can massage it back to round.
IF all else fails, you can either make a new tube or cut the end off and weld on a new piece.
I made the complete assembly for my 10K and it wasn't all that hard. The most difficult was learning to make the internal threads and getting them the right size. I used up a bunch of black iron pipe doing practice runs. My collection of used 6K collets had quite a lot of variance in the threads.
That hand closer is definitely worth saving or at least restoring/repairing.
Here is the closer tube,you can see where it was put in a vise.
On the inside the threads bulge in just a little bit but enough.
I plan to run a tap down the threads and see if it can be smoothed out that way.
Looking down the tube you don't see it out of round,only bulged at the two points it was clamped.

Attachments

• 20240214_103648.jpg
    20240214_103648.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 4
Interesting. What size collets?
The 6K ones that fit the 10K lathe have a strange thread profile. I had to custom grind a tool bit to cut the internal threads. They had a 55 degree angle as opposed to the usual 60. I couldn't fine any tap that size with a 28 TPI and 55 degrees. If this is for a 9 inch lathe it is probably different threads.
Will a collet run most of the way in and then start binding as it gets to that first dent? The first dent looks like it would be pretty close to the end of the threads.

I don't know yet,this was in a pile of items in the previous owners back yard,for a 9 inch machine that had already been sold.
I have a 10L with a 5c collet set up,so I don't need it but I'd like to get it usable and pass it on.

Back