South Bend Lathe Project Update

rp1950

Registered
Registered
I got my first lathe free from work as it had been damaged by being turned over during moving. It was placed in storage and I talked them out of it.
It is a 1943 South Bend 16" x 6' lathe.

I finally got it home about a month ago and this is what was visible:

Carriage handwheel broken off
Cross feed screw was broken off behind the handle
Compound handle was bent
Belt tension lever broken off
Single tumbler bent so the pin won't pull out
QC gear box lever (Left/Right) broken off
Cone cover broken

I was fortunate to find Old Iron on the forum and made arrangements to go see him in Alabama.
He was gracious enough to donate some of the parts I needed:
Belt tension lever
QC gear box lever
Tumbler with pin assembly
Spare motor as I was not sure what was in the lathe
Other goodies I sincerely appreciate.

Here's where my son and I are now.
We have removed the cross feed screw and it will have to be replaced.
We struggled with the tapered pin on the hand wheel until we gave up because we were scared we would break the apron housing. We made sure we were hitting the right end of the pin.
We finally got the tapered pin out of the tension lever.
We removed the old motor and it is a old G.E. 2 HP 220v/440v 3 phase. I took it to work and have a friend hooking up an Allen Bradley VFD with remote F/R/S switch along with a speed control and E stop. This should be ready Friday. Again, no charge.

Now, the bad news. When we were getting the motor out we noticed that the countershaft cradle was broken in two pieces. We got the tension mechanism out and are working on driving the shaft that the cradle pivots on out. We beat on it trying to move it from left to right and it wouldn't budge.
We tried the other side and was able to move it past the first hinge and that is it. I'm guessing it is in a bind. We have tried jacks to keep it in place but it hasn't moved any further. Once we get it out we will weld it unless someone knows where to get one.
Any suggestions on what to do?

I have contacted Joe at Plaza Machinery and he is looking for the crossfeed screw and some other items.

I'll try to get some photos of the progress this weekend. Sunday I have to leave for Bankok Thailand for 3 weeks and it'll be awhile before we get back to it.

Thanks for any help,
Rp

I got my first lathe free from work as it had been damaged by being turned over during moving. It was placed in storage and I talked them out of it.
It is a 1943 South Bend 16" x 6' lathe.

I finally got it home about a month ago and this is what was visible:

Carriage handwheel broken off
Cross feed screw was broken off behind the handle
Compound handle was bent
Belt tension lever broken off
Single tumbler bent so the pin won't pull out
QC gear box lever (Left/Right) broken off
Cone cover broken

I was fortunate to find Old Iron on the forum and made arrangements to go see him in Alabama.
He was gracious enough to donate some of the parts I needed:
Belt tension lever
QC gear box lever
Tumbler with pin assembly
Spare motor as I was not sure what was in the lathe
Other goodies I sincerely appreciate.

Here's where my son and I are now.
We have removed the cross feed screw and it will have to be replaced.
We struggled with the tapered pin on the hand wheel until we gave up because we were scared we would break the apron housing. We made sure we were hitting the right end of the pin.
We finally got the tapered pin out of the tension lever.
We removed the old motor and it is a old G.E. 2 HP 220v/440v 3 phase. I took it to work and have a friend hooking up an Allen Bradley VFD with remote F/R/S switch along with a speed control and E stop. This should be ready Friday. Again, no charge.

Now, the bad news. When we were getting the motor out we noticed that the countershaft cradle was broken in two pieces. We got the tension mechanism out and are working on driving the shaft that the cradle pivots on out. We beat on it trying to move it from left to right and it wouldn't budge.
We tried the other side and was able to move it past the first hinge and that is it. I'm guessing it is in a bind. We have tried jacks to keep it in place but it hasn't moved any further. Once we get it out we will weld it unless someone knows where to get one.
Any suggestions on what to do?

I have contacted Joe at Plaza Machinery and he is looking for the crossfeed screw and some other items.

I'll try to get some photos of the progress this weekend. Sunday I have to leave for Bankok Thailand for 3 weeks and it'll be awhile before we get back to it.

Thanks for any help,
Rp

Here is a photo of the lathe.

DSC_6100.JPG

DSC_6100.JPG

I wonder if the cradle out of the 13" will work? Wished we would have new that when you were here. I guess we need a picture and some measurements so I can check the one I have.

Paul

I wonder if the cradle out of the 13" will work? Wished we would have new that when you were here. I guess we need a picture and some measurements so I can check the one I have.

Paul

Hey Paul,
The guy that came with me to your house has a SB 13. I looked at his lathe and it looks like the cradle is smaller. He rebuilt a 16" a few years ago for someone and thinks that he may still have an extra base with motor plate and cradle but I have been unable to get up with him.

Thanks,
Rp

Been awhile on an update for the SB 16. I have been traveling all over the place.

My son and I have been working on it as much as possible over the past few weeks. 4 hours here and there.
We have totally disassembled it and are going through it piece by piece.
The broken countershaft cradle has been repaired and the assembly is all cleaned up, painted and reinstalled.
We got the frame stripped and repainted. The headstock was removed and disassembled, cleaned up, new wicks, painted and reinstalled. The bearings appeared to be in good shape.
We disassembled, cleaned, painted and reinstalled the reverse gear assembly.
We are now working on the tailstock and should have it done this weekend.
I have a new cross slide screw from Joe at Plaza machinery and we will start on the saddle next.
The apron looks like it will be a challenge. Looks pretty complicated.
So far everything is in really good shape to be almost 70 years old.

I went to see Old Iron a while back and got a tumblr for the gear box but it appears to be a different size. We are trying to find a gearbox or just the tumblr lever. The lead screw looks good.

Here are some pictures I hope...

progress 10 5 2012.JPG IMAG0419.JPG IMAG0420.JPG IMAG0422.JPG IMAG0430.JPG Painted frame.JPG

nice work, and I really like the paint job.

Cheers Phil

We finished the tailstock assembly today and are now working on the saddle.
Hopefully in a few weeks we will see it run.

Rp

It is looking good Rp won't be long and yoy'll be making chips.

Paul

Nice work, I ran my 2 Hvy 10's for several hours this week making parts to a new qc tool post design. They are a pleasure to operate. Joe

Working on apron.
Complete disassembly.
Cleaned it up, it was caked up with gunk and other mysterious stuff.
Replaced all the wicks.
Reassembled.

The gearbox should be here tomorrow.
I ordered a Phase II QC toolpost set yesterday.
Still waiting on the motor.

Here's before and after photos of apron:

DSC_6099.JPGIMAG0467.jpg

DSC_6099.JPG IMAG0467.jpg

Back