Southbend 9A switch help needed.

it appears that you have a small lug on the left side of your drum switch.
it may have been used to anchor a spring

that switch has had (tens of ) thousands of throws and still functions.
they just don't make quality like that anymore :eagerness:

Last edited:
Hi Carl, I would guess that motor is currently wired for 115 volts? If the motor can run 230 volt I'd highly recommend it- runs cooler, more efficient, and the switch contacts last much longer (half the current)
Mark

Hi Mark,

I need to look at the plate on the motor. It’s a old tank of a GE motor. If it can handle 230v would it be wired the same as 115? And yes, it is 115v now.

Also, to your previous post, what shape were those conductors originally? If I’m going to solder some copper on I’d like to match the original.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a volt meter - how does that help a missing spring?

The switch works fine, but the lever doesn’t snap in the off position when not in use.

and I need to learn how to read.......

I’m often guilty of the same thing! Thought I missed something...

Cheers,
Carl

The green circles indicate where a spring could be mounted to keep the handle in neutral. The blue circle points out a cam position / detent that would also aid in a positive neutral resting place - if only a cam follower were present. I take it this is a reversing switch?

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

The green circles indicate where a spring could be mounted to keep the handle in neutral. The blue circle points out a cam position / detent that would also aid in a positive neutral resting place - if only a cam follower were present. I take it this is a reversing switch?

You pics don’t appear for me - I hope it’s just my phone and will look on the computer when I get home tonight.

Yes, it is a reversing switch.

Thanks
Carl

It looks like you're missing some parts of the detent mechanism in addition to the spring. Here are some photos I found, very similar to those I've seen before. Hope these help:

The detent bracket with roller:
Drum Switch Detent Roller.jpg

The detent spring:
Drum Switch Detent Spring.jpg

This switch might not be the same exact model as yours, but should give you an idea of how they commonly work.

Hi Carl, there are some differences when wiring for 230 volts, we can help you with that if you decide to
Post a pic of the motor nameplate if possible
Mark

I'm with Brino, i like the color. If it was me and looking at the condition of that switch I would replace it, my 10L also has the cutter hammer switch.

Back