Spin indexer vs. dividing head

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I think both of these basically allow a person to incrementally rotate a workpiece on horizontal axis.
Is a spin indexer for smaller work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A spin indexer is used more on a surface grinder being it can spin and grind ODs . In the trade it is known as a whirly jig .

A simple indexing head such as a Hardinge allows you to index down to 15 degree increments .

A full out dividing head gives you infinate increments and requires plates .

A Hartford head is similar to the indexing head but on a much larger scale .

Thanks Dave, that's helpful.
Some Google-fu found this too:

A spin indexer is used more on a surface grinder being it can spin and grind ODs . In the trade it is known as a whirly jig .

A simple indexing head such as a Hardinge allows you to index down to 15 degree increments .

A full out dividing head gives you infinate increments and requires plates .

A Hartford head is similar to the indexing head but on a much larger scale .

I just used my Phase II spin indexer for that very purpose. I needed to cut down the shaft diameter on a woodruff key cutter to make a T slot cutter. I have also used it on occasions to put graduation marks on a degree wheel and other similar work that only needs 1* resolution. My spin indexer only works in the horizontal position unless it's clamped to an angle plate. I have seen some that can be used in both the horizontal and vertical position.

I think I paid about $50.00 for mine (used) about 15 years ago. It came in a padded fancy wooden carrying case with instructions and spaces for a few collets. There are several new units (not Phase II) available from eBay listed for around the same price. I have no idea of their quality.

They are a useful tool to have in the shed pn ! :encourage:

Something not mentioned is while limited compared to a dividing head a spin indexer is cheaper and simpler to use, when you don't need to divide by fractions of degrees. Most of the cheap spin indexers can divide by 1 degree (36 positions + a 1-10 "fine tune" adjustment) increments. No need for plates like on a dividing head. You need a dividing head for making most gears, but a spin indexer can be used (and is faster) for making shapes, regularly spaced grooves etc. Set at 90 degree increments you could mill a square end on a bar, say to make a chuck key, or mill four evenly spaced slots, 72, 60 or 45 degree increments would mill a pentagonal, hexagonal or octagonal pattern.

Of course even simpler than the spin indexer for square or hex shapes would be square or hexagonal collet blocks.

Spin indexers usually use collets, 5C is most common, but I have one that uses ER32 collets. Dividing heads can usually use a lathe chuck, face plate / tail stock to turn between centers or collets (MT or B&S seem to be common).

So the more complex dividing head is not always "better", but it is more capable.

Something not mentioned is while limited compared to a dividing head a spin indexer is cheaper and simpler to use, when you don't need to divide by fractions of degrees. Most of the cheap spin indexers can divide by 1 degree (36 positions + a 1-10 "fine tune" adjustment) increments. No need for plates like on a dividing head. You need a dividing head for making most gears, but a spin indexer can be used (and is faster) for making shapes, regularly spaced grooves etc. Set at 90 degree increments you could mill a square end on a bar, say to make a chuck key, or mill four evenly spaced slots, 60 or at 45 degree increments would mill a hex or octagonal pattern.

Of course even simpler than the spin indexer for these shapes would be square or hexagonal collet blocks.

Spin indexers usually use collets, 5C is most common, but I have one that uses ER32 collets. Dividing heads can usually use a lathe chuck, face plate / tail stock to turn between centers or collets (MT or B&S seem to be common).

So the more complex dividing head is not always "better".
What indexer do you have that uses ER32 collets?
I have not seen one that doesn't use 5C...

Don’t know if this extends across the whole of their offerings but I have an AGD-1 indicator by HHiP that I quite like. I think their tools might be a slight notch higher than other regular import stuff. But, the indicator is the only thing of theirs that I own (I think) so take that for what you will.

-frank

Back