Spin indexer vs. dividing head

Don’t know if this extends across the whole of their offerings but I have an AGD-1 indicator by HHiP that I quite like. I think their tools might be a slight notch higher than other regular import stuff. But, the indicator is the only thing of theirs that I own (I think) so take that for what you will.

-frank

I have a couple of things from HHiP, although what beyond the indexer escapes me at the moment. Based on a small sample I agree, they seem to be at the higher end of still fairly inexpensive import tools.
The indexer seems to be well made, everything turns smoothly and they left out the usual mystery oil and grit. At $95 + shipping it does put it about 50% more expensive than the cheapest 5C indexers.

Couldn't you achieve the same result with a vertical/horizontal rotary table? I played around with the huge rotary table that came with my mill/drill before I sold it. It had some dividing plates. I found trying to keep tract of where I was with the dividing plates was a nightmare. Seemed easier to divide the circle into however many parts you needed and move the table accordingly.

Couldn't you achieve the same result with a vertical/horizontal rotary table? I played around with the huge rotary table that came with my mill/drill before I sold it. It had some dividing plates. I found trying to keep tract of where I was with the dividing plates was a nightmare. Seemed easier to divide the circle into however many parts you needed and move the table accordingly.

Yes . The rotary table also has great benefits over these other devices . Much larger work envelope as well as better precision .

The indexers are quicker though if you're not splitting hairs .

I've had my Spin Indexer for about 4 years, I like it. Seems quite accurate even though it was only about $50. Mine is a 5C model which I like because I have a set of collets for my chuck. There is a good video of reversing the way it holds the work so you can get closer to the collet. I've considered making a tail stock for it, to do list. I also have collet blocks that take 5C and are faster yet to setup. A rotary table with dividing plates is another step up in what it can do. Next step, semi-universal dividing head, then the full blown universal dividing head. Like all things in this hobby it is a never ending progression.

The sad truth is you need all three of spin indexer, dividing head, and rotary table. Most recently, i used the spin indexer to mill reference flats on a custom tilt table, the dividing head to make a 100 hole 4” bolt circle of 0.104” holes to hold diodes for a 100,000 volt bridge rectifier, and the rotary table to mill some large diameter holes and arcs. In addition, you need square and hexagonal collet blocks. Really.

Yes . The rotary table also has great benefits over these other devices . Much larger work envelope as well as better precision .

The indexers are quicker though if you're not splitting hairs .
Not only are the indexers quicker for basic work, they also have a small footprint, and are considerably lighter. I would guess my spin indexer weighs in the neighborhood of 10 lbs. My smallest rotary table (8") is in the 75 lb. range, and the larger one (12") is around 125 lbs.

The downsides of an indexer (at least to mine) are that the base wasn't originally machined square to the collet axis, and there are no slots for T nuts. When using it I originally had to indicate off the part (until I squared the base), and I still have to use standard table clamps to hold it in place. Also mine is only designed for horizontal work. To do anything vertical it has to be clamped to an angle plate. Even with these minor drawbacks it's the go to tool for work within it's envelope that doesn't require location within less than 1*.

Anything needing greater accuracy goes on a rotary table. Both have scales that read down to 1 minute of a degree, but that's the limit of their accuracy. Anything needing resolution down to a second, or fraction of a degree would need a dividing head with the appropriate plates.

Key difference: motion under cutting load. Spin indexers: set position and cut. Dividing head and rotary table can cut while rotating in addition to set and cut. A lot of rotaries can tilt too.
Spin indexes are easier on your back and take up MUCH less space in your setup.

So: rotaries do it all, but indexers are faster and lighter. I'm in the "well of course I want ALL of them!" school ;-) Who doesnt want more tools???

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I think I'm leaning toward a rotary table with dividing plates though a spin indexer looks pretty handy.

Spin indexers are also relatively cheap $60-70 including shipping for a 5C import on ebay, the ER32 I have was $115 with shipping.

A 6" import rotary table is $200-300, 8" $300-500 with vertical / horizontal types at the higher end. Dividing plates extra.

Import dividing heads are pretty inexpensive now, although it looks like the prices have gone up in the past year since I bought mine. There were some BS-0 in the $250-300 range with shipping, now the cheapest BS-0 seems to be $350-400, and BS-1 $400-500.

As Winegrower says each has their place. Rotary table is probably the most versatile, the dividing head the most accurate, and spin indexer cheap and easy to use.

I'm really not sure how a rotary table with dividing plates compares to a dividing head of similar quality for accuracy.

The downsides of an indexer (at least to mine) are that the base wasn't originally machined square to the collet axis, and there are no slots for T nuts.

I am starting to think of these lower cost items, like spin indexers, swivel vises, tailstock live chucks, anything from India, etc., not with disgust at the quality lack, but with appreciation for providing 80% of the solution and an interesting challenge to take it the next 20%.

it would be difficult for me to afford all of these gizmos if they were all US or German made precision stuff, so I now think of these as “kit” items but with not so much boring machining required. Self delusional maybe, but it prevents some disappointment, and spurs some creative thinking opportunities.

And when you get done, you have a tool that you really understand and have characterized pretty thoroughly.

Wadda ya think, are you with me? :cool:

Back