Spindle Cooler -and just chatting a bit...

No fins on your cooler, Ray?
Some CPU coolers now are bigger than the head of a moped… I guess the larger ones can be used as spindle coolers without many modifications:

_2024830.jpg

_2024830.jpg

LOL... Yes, some of the CPU cooling products in the retail arena are pretty amusing and I sometimes think are more about aesthetics than thermodynamics. Of course, they're necessary but on the highest end server boards I've seen, crammed with 4 or 8 quad core CPUs, there was just a basic heatsink with a 50mm mag-lev fan sitting atop each CPU.

I did think about cutting slots/fins in the cooling ring but that's just one more thing for me to crack a knuckle into and draw blood; thus, I left it round with rounded-out edges. As is, I suspect it will lower the temperature a little bit. If you've ever welded aluminum, you're aware of it's absolutely amazing ability to suck-up and dissipate heat. In a way, I'm solving a problem that doesn't exist as the temperature without cooling modifications is nowhere near an abnormal level. It makes sense though to keep things as cool as possible so, for now, I'm just tinkering and experimenting. For extra credit and as further tribute to "playing around for the heck of it", if I'm so inclined to force air past the vent holes, I'll get a thin, round disk of plastic or aluminum, mill some sloped areas on one side to serve as crude propeller and mount it to the spinning part of the spindle. Even a crude design (as long as it's fairly well balanced and doesn't fly apart at 3000 RPM) will generate enough draft to blow air through the vent holes.

LOL... I'm really just killing some time with this endeavor... ...just satisfying my curiosity about spindle temperature. The idea of all this was inspired by looking at the specs on several high-end CNC machines and reading the glossy brochures about their techniques for addressing spindle temperature. At 8, 10, 12 and 20,000 RPM, the issue is non-trivial and the solutions are both diverse and interesting.

Ray

Ray,I get it. When we weld SS if it will need multipal passes and is cridical, a 350*f max inter pass temp is required. So a trick used is to clap AL chill bars tothe SS sucks the heat right out of the SS and I'm sure you know how SS likes to hold heat. An example is I just did a Cert. cupon 3/8 x 7 45* v grove in vert. up. Clamped 1 piece of 1/2 x3 AL bar to either side of the weld and it needed 5 min. or less to get back down to around 250*FAs faras the New CNC and shop go congrats, glad to hear it. As far as you getting pushed out, not while I'm around!By the way still love that Dog!Mark

Ray,I get it. When we weld SS if it will need multipal passes and is cridical, a 350*f max inter pass temp is required. So a trick used is to clap AL chill bars tothe SS sucks the heat right out of the SS and I'm sure you know how SS likes to hold heat. An example is I just did a Cert. cupon 3/8 x 7 45* v grove in vert. up. Clamped 1 piece of 1/2 x3 AL bar to either side of the weld and it needed 5 min. or less to get back down to around 250*FAs faras the New CNC and shop go congrats, glad to hear it. As far as you getting pushed out, not while I'm around!By the way still love that Dog!Mark

Oh yeah, I clamp pieces of aluminum to welding project as a matter of due course. Works like a magical charm. I've had a slow spell in the machine work and haven't run the CNC for an extended time but when I do, I'll let folks know the outcome. On one of the last go-arounds, I checked it with an IR temp gun so, I know the "before" condition.

Sash the dog... Yes, I like getting her in the pictures -it's kinda like my version of the ever-popular children's books "Where's Waldo". Sash is kinda easy to point out in most cases... :).

Ray

In the picture where you're milling out the center section. It appears that you're using a 4 fluted end-mill to create a slot which (eventually) frees the center section. If that's the case, if you don't mind, I have a few questions...1) I believe I've read (somewhere) that when milling a slot a 2 or 3 flute end-mill should be used (and 4 flute should be avoided). I think the reason had to do with the cutting edges on the opposite sides being in contact with edges of the slot at the same time. So, I'm curious whether there's some reason that doesn't apply in this situation, or maybe I'm just wrong, or maybe it's just not that big of a deal, or what?2) When milling out that section, I'm curious how deep each pass was? Also, can I assume that was a center cutting end-mill? If not, was there some other trick going on here that I'm not seeing?3) How do you deal with the final pass when the center section breaks free? It seems to me that once the center piece is free that it would just cock and jam the mill.These are just questions born out of curiosity, thanks for sharing!Good luck with the new shop!
I believe the two flute is to help with chip removel, it gives more room. But at the speed and cut depth with air blowing the chips out I would not think it that big of an issue. just as I do not calculate spindle speed for every job I just kind of go with the speed I am at and ajust if needed. Mark

that's a neat little doodad, although with limited surface area I'm not sure how much it will help for extended runs. Then gain, I've no idea how much wattage it needs to dissipate so it may be just fine. The small prop idea is a good one though, efficiency of heat transfer jumps massively even with a tiny bit of airflow. It would also be worth using some kind of paste/ gel between the heatsink and the housing (even toothpaste would help) to improve thermal transfer.

Uhm… if that cooler would be empty and connected to the cooling fluid pipes, with LocLines starting from it… maybe it will become even more effective: air cooled vs. liquid cooled.
The flushing coolant wouldn't become too hot, but it would bring away some extra degrees anyway.

Hang on there guys... read post #13. This is more of an experiment and I'm developing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

Marco... -Liquid Nitrogen... That should do the trick!

Ray

Back