Spindle Cooler -and just chatting a bit...

Hang on there guys... read post #13. This is more of an experiment and I'm developing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

Ray

sure, but why wouldn't you want your solution to a non-existent problem to be the best one there is?!

ha! I thought it was "if it ain't broke, hit with a hammer" :D

I've spent a lot of time observing how my LED bike lights I built cope with heat and it's amazing the difference a tiny bit of airflow makes. Stationary all of them will trip their temp monitors within a couple of minutes on full power, but moving at 5mph will keep them cool indefinitely, if the ambient is 25C or less.

Why would you want to cool your spindle down if its only at 115f? At work I run a 12hp cnc router and I do a warm up every morning to get the spindle temp above 150F. Then run it at 18k rpm all day long. The guys that came to install it said that the spindle is engineered to run optimally with a decent amount of heat in it so all the bearings/races expand to the correct tolerances.

I understand your spindle isnt your motor itself like mine is, but I would think the same would apply. That as long as its not burning to the touch, that it would be fine and would tighten up tolerances even more.

Why would you want to cool your spindle down if its only at 115f? At work I run a 12hp cnc router and I do a warm up every morning to get the spindle temp above 150F. Then run it at 18k rpm all day long. The guys that came to install it said that the spindle is engineered to run optimally with a decent amount of heat in it so all the bearings/races expand to the correct tolerances.

I understand your spindle isnt your motor itself like mine is, but I would think the same would apply. That as long as its not burning to the touch, that it would be fine and would tighten up tolerances even more.

Yep, I'm with you here... At 2800 to 3000 RPMs the bearing housing gets up to 115. I have the same machine in a manual (non-CNC) configuration that only goes up to 1970 RPM and you can't really feel any heat at all. Anyhow, as mentioned in earlier posts, I was just curious if the cooling ring would make a difference. Time will tell if I leave it on or not. ---Definitely fixing a problem that doesn't exist. -Just messing around.

Ray

Hey how about strobing laser lights. This is great ray you started a running thread for fixing what ain't broke. You should apply fora government grant to fund your research. Good chance you could get it. HaHa Ha!!! Hopefully some body is taking away the idea of the cooling effects of AL. Or should I sat heat transfer. Gotta go time to see my cardiologist, then if he don't admit me it is off to see if Purdue can/will help me identify some unknown scrap yard steel. Mark

Back