Spindle disassembly

Garrett7553

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
I had my Tree 2UVR head rebuilt ans after re-insalling it on the quill I now have 12-13 thousands of end float in my spindle. Of course I found this out after breaking a carbide cutter. But I'm at a loss as to where the play is at.

I checked the spindle nut, item M-1014A, it's tight. The only other place I see where the play could come from is between the grease shields and retaining ring? Items M-1011, M-1009, and M-1008 respectively.

If this is the case how do I get to them with the collet closer shifter sleeve, M-1005, in the way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Garrett
Tree Page 16.jpg

Looks like you would have to disassemble the whole spindle unit.

OTmachine,

Yes, in fact that is one my friend and I referenced when rebuilding the gearbox.

But, I didn't see anything in it that references up and down spindle play. I did I miss something in that thread? I only skimmed through it.

Garrett

I can think of at least one more possibility aside from leaving something out or having it in the wrong order. It’s possible the bearings could have been installed incorrectly. These are angular contact bearings installed in what would appear to be in DF arrangement (face-to-face.) It might be possible for someone to have installed them in the DB arrangement (back-to-back) which is generally a stiffer arrangement and more common. However, there are reasons to do it the other way based on spindle design or what the manufacturer was prioritizing. Installing angular contact bearings opposite to how they were intended to preload will produce a floating condition like you described. Be aware that sometimes angular contact bearings that are put together without a spacer can be difficult to separate once installed without their destruction or damage.

OTmachine,

Yes, in fact that is one my friend and I referenced when rebuilding the gearbox.

But, I didn't see anything in it that references up and down spindle play. I did I miss something in that thread? I only skimmed through it.

Garrett
I have a 2VGC, which is different from yours, and runs good other than a small oil leak. I have not needed or had the desire to get into mine, so I can not lend any help other than my familiarity with running Tree Milling machines. Over the years I have accumulated a fair amount of data on Tree mills on the IBM side. I will look to see if I have any data. Also check the Tree group at : https://groups.io/g/treemillingmachines/topics

tailstock4,

That could definitely be the issue. I can't seem to figure out how to get in there to find out. Unfortunately the shifter sleeve is in the way and I can't see how to remove the retaining ring.

OTmachine,

Thank you for the link. I'll go through it and see what I can find.

Garrett

And this link?
Need to connect up with Tony Montana, “The Freewheeling Machinist”. I believe he also goes by Tony Smith.

OTmachine,

Thank you for the link and Tony Smith. I managed to find his email and will send him an email.

Garrett

Back