Spindle Runout Issues on PM-728VT

All I meant was that if the upper bore is concentric with the taper, the taper does not matter, if there was no taper and it was a straight bore at the bottom with that same arrangement, it would be the same. That's all. I'll measure it when it gets back here too. The only way I've found to do that is with a probe type setup thats good to under .0001. I am waiting to hear what the taper angle spec is made to, for my own curiosity.
Dumb question, if concentricity is the important factor would a coaxial dial indication be a better tool to check it? Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back.....

egocentricity.... My goodness, somebody find the dirt bag that came up with autocorrect I am going to tar and feather him....

if concentricity is the important factor would a coaxial dial indication be a better tool to check it? Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back.....

Absolutely, but I am not asking anyone to buy any more tools, I have that all here and will check when it comes back. I will report findings later on at that point for anyone who was curious

Confirmed the factory spec on the R8 taper is 16.51 degrees, just posting as an update. New spindle/quill assy will be shipped to you to just drop in and not touch any bearings or anything. It won't be ready for about 7-10 days, but will ship by air to you once it is.

Confirmed the factory spec on the R8 taper is 16.51 degrees, just posting as an update. New spindle/quill assy will be shipped to you to just drop in and not touch any bearings or anything. It won't be ready for about 7-10 days, but will ship by air to you once it is.

Thx!

On their spec, is it 16°51′, or 16.51°? I ask, because I think the two often get thrown around interchangeably, and may even be the source of the issue here.

Thx!

On their spec, is it 16°51′, or 16.51°? I ask, because I think the two often get thrown around interchangeably, and may even be the source of the issue here.

did they ever answer you?

Did they ever respond on this?: "On their spec, is it 16°51′, or 16.51°? I ask, because I think the two often get thrown around interchangeably, and may even be the source of the issue here."

Yes 16 degrees 51 minutes is what their spec is just to clear it up. Spindle/quill assy on the way to me and then to you after I check it out one last time, I emailed you yesterday in case you didn't see it. If it comes by tomorrow I will get it out, if not it will be later next week, I am away for a bit this coming weekend. And I do not want to ship this until I see it myself.

Yes 16 degrees 51 minutes is what their spec is just to clear it up. Spindle/quill assy on the way to me and then to you after I check it out one last time, I emailed you yesterday in case you didn't see it. If it comes by tomorrow I will get it out, if not it will be later next week, I am away for a bit this coming weekend. And I do not want to ship this until I see it myself.

My apologies, i do see your email as well. Traveling myself this week. No rush to get this out. I’d prefer we wait till you’re able to inspect it yourself before shooting it my way. I’ve re-assembled the mill and have used it for several projects and just kept the tooling length real short.

Back