Split Collar (?) How to remove

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought this 4 inch Columbian vise at a flea mkt probably 8-10 yrs ago. Needs cleaning and a tune up. How to remove the split collar (guess that's the name) from the screw? It's pretty substantial, and the groove is pretty deep. I've tried chisels, screwdrivers. It's shrouded so much by the front jaw screw shroud (I don't know the term) I can't get enough of a grip to open it up, or get it out of the groove. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 87
I’d call it a spring clip, but my best advice is to keep trying. Sometimes I’ll try to get a bent pick under on side, but you’re really in a tight spot there. If nothing else, re-evaluate the necessity of removing it. Lol Brake parts cleaner does wonders.

Agreed you should clean before continuing. That hog ring will probably slip off the shaft if it was clean of fettstoff. You probably want to be cautious to preserve the ring, or you might end up cussing yourself every time you try to spread the jaws with one hand holding the work. Use expanding pliers for transmission work and the like.

I’d call it a spring clip, but my best advice is to keep trying. Sometimes I’ll try to get a bent pick under on side, but you’re really in a tight spot there. If nothing else, re-evaluate the necessity of removing it. Lol Brake parts cleaner does wonders.
Thanks. The screw is rather loose, so I was thinking there is a bushing there that may need to be replaced. When I took the vise apart, I was expecting to find a collar with a set screw holding it. Nope. Thats why not cleaned yet.
Agreed you should clean before continuing. That hog ring will probably slip off the shaft if it was clean of fettstoff. You probably want to be cautious to preserve the ring, or you might end up cussing yourself every time you try to spread the jaws with one hand holding the work. Use expanding pliers for transmission work and the like.
Thanks. The groove it's in is pretty deep. I thought I'd be able to wedge it up and over a shoulder and work it around. No such luck. Will give 'expanding pliers' a look see.
There are pliers made for just these type of rings.
Thanks. I'll give a search for such pliers!

Thanks. The screw is rather loose, so I was thinking there is a bushing there that may need to be replaced. When I took the vise apart, I was expecting to find a collar with a set screw holding it. Nope. Thats why not cleaned yet.
I can’t say I know this for certain, but I’ve taken apart at least a dozen old vises, including two Columbians, and I’ve never found such a bushing. Even a Wilton just has a hole for the screw to pass through. But this one could be different I reckon.

I can’t say I know this for certain, but I’ve taken apart at least a dozen old vises, including two Columbians, and I’ve never found such a bushing. Even a Wilton just has a hole for the screw to pass through. But this one could be different I reckon.
The only vise I've ever take apart was a Horror Fright vise, and it basically disassembled itself, into fractured bits... I looked on Youtube at many vise rebuild videos, especially ones of this size. None had a split ring as this one does. I did see a couple Craftsman, one had a large snap ring., the other had a split collar as this one does on google searches. The suggestion above, by Pontiac428 to use lock ring pliers seems like the answer to my problem. Besides, that's a good reason to buy a tool I don't have...

None had a split ring as this one does. I did see a couple Craftsman, one had a large snap ring., the other had a split collar as this one does on google searches.
Yeah I’ve never seen a split ring like that either. But I was talking about the bushing you were thinking might be in there somewhere. I don’t think there’s a bushing.

Yeah I’ve never seen a split ring like that either. But I was talking about the bushing you were thinking might be in there somewhere. I don’t think there’s a bushing.
Oh. The screw is such a sloppy fit through the jaw, I thought there may be one. I did see on some google search diagrams that showed bushings. As we're in Asia at present, it will be next year sometime before I can work on the vise again.

Back