Split Collar (?) How to remove

My goodness! Well at least it’s not too pressing. Whereabouts in Asia did you go?

My goodness! Well at least it’s not too pressing. Whereabouts in Asia did you go?
We're kind of snowbirds, spend half to most of our time in Thailand and some in Vietnam, the rest in Florida. My wife is Vietnamese, so we visit there, see family, then head to Bangkok.

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_185808219.jpg
    IMG_20230523_185808219.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 3
I bought this 4 inch Columbian vise at a flea mkt probably 8-10 yrs ago. Needs cleaning and a tune up. How to remove the split collar (guess that's the name) from the screw? It's pretty substantial, and the groove is pretty deep. I've tried chisels, screwdrivers. It's shrouded so much by the front jaw screw shroud (I don't know the term) I can't get enough of a grip to open it up, or get it out of the groove. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Retaining ring pliers, as previously noted, and remove ring groove burr with dremel rotary tool prior.

We're kind of snowbirds, spend half to most of our time in Thailand and some in Vietnam, the rest in Florida. My wife is Vietnamese, so we visit there, see family, then head to Bangkok.
That sounds pretty nice. I hope to do something similar someday. But I’d stay in Illinois June-October. As soon as the leaves turn, we’d be on a plane to more summer. Lol

That sounds pretty nice. I hope to do something similar someday. But I’d stay in Illinois June-October. As soon as the leaves turn, we’d be on a plane to more summer. Lol
We're trying to get our "post-covid" travel schedule back in sync with the "pre-covid" schedule. We should return to FL in March, avoiding the 107F days here in Bangkok - which are miserable...

The suggestion above, by Pontiac428 to use lock ring pliers seems like the answer to my problem. Besides, that's a good reason to buy a tool I don't have...

Full disclosure, after posting that I ordered the large 11" expanding pliers because they're a little bit bigger and heavier than my largest pair. Even I'm not immune to my own helpful suggestions on how to spend your money.

Back