[4]

Spray Or Brush Paint A Machine?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

hkv

Registered
What is the expert recommendations when restoring an old mill or lathe. Some people say brush paint is the preferred choice whereas I see other spray.

Looking at my old machines, I find the coat of paint to be very thick. It is almost like an enamel and (based on my limited experience) would be hard to get with spray paint unless you spray it 20 times.

I would like to hear your thinking

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I spray all my restorations with Rustoleum. They look nice and be quickly retouched with a rattle can.
I only use a brush on extremely rough surfaces. I just don't like everyone the look of a brush painted smooth surface.
Randy

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
As you noted brush on paint gives a muck heaver coat than spraying. It comes down to personnel preference; A good machine paint well flow out nice and you wont se any brush marks.

Jprato

Registered
The best results come from proper surface preparation and spraying. That said, how much time do you want to spend on the job. If you just want it to look better than it is and have a couple of hours to spend you can do a quality brush paint job. You say you are restoring a machine, so I assume it all apart. That might be time to invest in a quality spray job.

Here is a picture of my lathe with a Saturday afternoon rustoleum brush paint job. I used 1 1/2" cut in brush and a small model brush for getting around tight areas. I did follow it up with another coat on Sunday

IMG_20151015_185005907_HDR.jpg

silence dogood

Active User
I use "equipment & implement enamel" made by "Auto Body Master". The ranchers and farmers out here use it on their combines and other machinery. It is suppose to resist gasoline and oil. Tough stuff. But, like any paint that you use, prep is the name of the game.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
It is almost like an enamel and (based on my limited experience) would be hard to get with spray paint unless you spray it 20 times.
If you're talking rattle can spraying then yes, many coats would be necessary. However if you have a spray gun you could use a high performance coating like a catalyzed urethane, That would build fast and be very durable.

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I use "equipment & implement enamel" made by "Auto Body Master". The ranchers and farmers out here use it on their combines and other machinery. It is suppose to resist gasoline and oil. Tough stuff. But, like any paint that you use, prep is the name of the game.
I've used similar stuff from Valspar.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/678390-valspar-aerosol-anti-rust-oil-based-enamel.html
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/777146-valspar-tractor-and-implement-enamel-spray.html

for small projects I just buy it in spray cans, for larger projects I but a quart and thin it so I can spray it through my hvlp system. like you said, once it's fully cured it's pretty bullet proof.

I used it to paint these benches.
http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2009/06/02/finally-finished-kind-of/

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I use brush on hammer finish from rustoleum. covers everything nicely. touches up easy

TommyD

Registered
I have always used grey enamel porch and floor enamel, seriously. We had a ton of it kicking around where I worked and I used it on the machines I'd have to take apart and fix. Dries hard as a rock and as smooth as a baby's bottom, no brush marks what so ever.They were getting rid of 6 gallons and I gladly took it off their hands and use it on my home stuff.

randyjaco

Active User
As you noted brush on paint gives a muck heaver coat than spraying. It comes down to personnel preference; A good machine paint well flow out nice and you wont se any brush marks.
I will have to say, that is a superb brush job! Mine don't come out looking that way 8^)
Randy

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Paint from a rattle can often leaves me less than pleased. The best rattle can paint that I have found that goes on thick and smooth is the 2X stuff. It’s not perfect but works…Dave.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
For spray cans Rustoleum hammertone Does a good job. And is durable. It is a textured paint and hides a lot of stuff.

rakort

Registered
Where I am at on this........for sure use a good quality brush on oil base enamel. Don't be in a hurry...it will flow out and look good, but actually take weeks to cure. Sure you can handle pieces in a day or so, but they will get marked up and scratched easily. As time goes on the paint becomes more durable. I do rattle can a few things it just depends, but the bulk of that machine gets a heavy coat of oil based enamel. My 10k lathe is holding up great after umm some 20 years ago of being painted. When you are done after a day or so, take a razor blade and clean up all the surfaces that weren't meant to be painted. With that said ... someone also said it as well....prep is everything in a paint job

20151116_175856.jpg

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
I've used similar stuff from Valspar.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/678390-valspar-aerosol-anti-rust-oil-based-enamel.html
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/777146-valspar-tractor-and-implement-enamel-spray.html

for small projects I just buy it in spray cans, for larger projects I but a quart and thin it so I can spray it through my hvlp system. like you said, once it's fully cured it's pretty bullet proof.

I used it to paint these benches.
http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2009/06/02/finally-finished-kind-of/
I also like the Valspar enamel from Farm & Fleet. I recently sprayed a Harrison back splash for use behind my South Bend 9A. I used a "Harbor Frought" gravity feed gun at 90 psi & used the paint directly from the package. I got great coverage & just enough orange peel to provide hiding of slight rust pitting after prep. I chose Ford tractor grey for a pleasing off-white finish.

astjp2

Active User
Registered
I am a tool snob, its either brush or spray a good 2 part epoxy or urethane, I wont even waste my time with a rattle can for a durable finish.....Tim

I have had excellent results with the PPG aquapon 35, its a chemical resistant epoxy that is durable if you get a good primer under it. Tim

frank r

Active User
Another option is to roll with a short foam roller. I bought a gallon of Sher-Kem enamel to paint a Mill Rite mill. I rolled one coat of that paint on and covered 99% of the machine. It took me about 1 hour to do the whole base, cabinet and column. I was impressed; talk about "one-coat coverage". I put on another coat later for good measure. Touching up with a brush took care of the other 1%.

However, I use both spray and brush when I feel like it. Getting inside some surfaces is easiest with a spray can. Brushed and rolled paint is thicker though.

Bill C.

Active User
Registered
I used to spray weldments years ago. I also touched up paint on machines with a brush too. Be sure to follow paint manufacture's instructions on thinning their paint. A body shop painter told me years ago if you spray paint carry a small paint brush so if you see runs they can be brushed out while the paint is wet.

In either case use a lot of ventilation and old clothes or coveralls. Good luck, would like to see photos of your finished project.

P

pepi

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I am a tool snob, its either brush or spray a good 2 part epoxy or urethane, I wont even waste my time with a rattle can for a durable finish.....Tim

I have had excellent results with the PPG aquapon 35, its a chemical resistant epoxy that is durable if you get a good primer under it. Tim

I never knew one could brush paint a two part paint, going to check that out for sure. Good tip

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
I never knew one could brush paint a two part paint, going to check that out for sure. Good tip
You can brush catalyzed paints, the only problem is some of them have very short pot life like 20-30 minutes, you could easily spray a coat on a machine in that time but you wouldnt get too far with a brush.

j_zuilkowski

Registered
I brush painted my walker turner drill rebuild. While it came out ok, I was not pleased for the amount of effort. I used sherwin williams alkyd. For my delta wood lathe restore, I bought a campbel hausfeld hvlp gun kit from walmart and shot it with rustoleum smoke grey. It came out an order of magnitude better, you can see your reflection in it.

I also used the hardener from tractor supply, so it hardened in about a day. For the lathe, I also thinned the pain with acetone so that the paint would flash quicker, allowing a heavier coat without runs. Careful with that stuff, it's poisonous

Primitive_Pete

Registered
I use magic Tractor paint from Tractor supply. The hardener is extra then I put it on with foam brushes. take a bit to dry but looks great even fills in pits in the cast metal.

P

pepi

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice one I will try to remember this, on second thought I will c&p it, put into a file I have with snippets like this. It is amazing what can be learned over on the net.. You mix it, what is the ratio, or you are painting the hardener over the color or base coat as if were a second coat?

Thank you...

Primitive_Pete

Registered
You mix it 1/2 pint per 1 gallon of paint or 8:1 It gives you about 8 hours pot life on cool day and makes the paint much harder and little bit shinier

Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
I prefer spray but some time I have to use brush
Note Use good paint that will wear with chips
I have try paints only to have to repaint in CA they have band all the good paints today good luck

Dave

hkv

Registered
Thanks everyone for all your tips and ideas and feedback. I have concluded I will try a high density foam roller and see if I like the result. If not, the HLVP gun will be used, but then I need to wait summer so I can be outside. Too messy

Great experience in this forum!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

j_zuilkowski

Registered
This is the kit I bought - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-34-Piece-Spray-Gun-Kit/12534872

After reading several reviews in forums, this looked like a good bet. I had never used one before, and I went from opening the box to shooting the paint in about an hour. And the results were far better than I had hoped.

If you use enamel, use the hardener. Otherwise it will take months to fully cure, especially in the cold. WEAR A MASK IF YOU DO USE IT

astjp2

Active User
Registered
This is one spray gun that I use, if it gets messed up, throw it away and buy another. I paint a lot of my toys and projects with it. Price with shipping was like $27. Cheaper than Harbor freight. If I am mixin a 2 part paint, I use big syrniges to pull the paint/activator with them and mix. DP40 has a dwell time of 60 minutes before you spray, so pot life is different from dwell time. Tim

http://www.grizzly.com/products/HVLP-Mini-Spray-Gun-with-0-8mm-Tip/H8224

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Another thing to consider is a good undercoat. The modern paint formulations are a lot different than even a few years ago. I just painted my old Dalton lathe with rustoleum and a brush- mostly because I already had the paint on hand. In researching possible other paints I noticed several of the one part urethane called for a metal specific primer on bare surfaces, then a urethane flat coat. Over which two layers of finish coat could be applied.

I did use a marine grade undercoat - from Interlux- on several parts. Mostly because the rattle can, high fill automotive primer, dissolved literally in an instant when I hit it with acetone. Couldn't believe how crummy this automotive stuff is.

The Interlux primer hardly showed any degradation with even a hard acetone scrub with a shop towel. So I am headed down that path for future jobs.

Glenn

Techie1961

Registered
When you guys prepare a machine for paint, what do you do with the old surface? I have a mill that looks pretty rough and some of the paint, and filler underneath, is soft from the coolant and way oil that it has seen in its life. I don't have the time to go over it thoroughly to clean it down to bare and repaint. Will a bit of bondo over the seriously cratered areas stick? Will the paint stick to it?

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
I have always used grey enamel porch and floor enamel, seriously. We had a ton of it kicking around where I worked and I used it on the machines I'd have to take apart and fix. Dries hard as a rock and as smooth as a baby's bottom, no brush marks what so ever.They were getting rid of 6 gallons and I gladly took it off their hands and use it on my home stuff.
My dad swore by porch & floor enamel. We painted everything with it including a crane truck.

[6]
[5] [7]